TBI or Carb? What Do You prefer?

TBI or Carb

• TBI

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • Carb

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For daily driving I'd stick with the TBI but if she was 20 years old I'd Edelbrock her on the top half.

94 Silverado

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a stock engine I'd rather have TBI. If I was building a race car/truck or some other toy that needed all out power I'd rather have a carb so I wouldn't have to deal with tuning. I'd actually rather have TBI than the Vortec 350. Parts are more simple and cheaper. Also, the engine bay isn't as cluttered. I bet if GM had kept the TBI throughout all of the OBS years the same guys that love so say how great a 5.7 Vortec is over the TBI would be saying how great a TBI is over a 5.3.

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would rather keep the TBI for daily driving but just like 94 Silverado, I too would prefer a carb on a race/project car to keep it simple.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I like the TBI. Easier to tune than MPI and less trouble prone, and more drivable than a carb. I'm actually going to use a TBI on my Vortec build.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
carb, I hate fuel injection as far as trying to trouble shoot and carb is soo much easier to work on and sooo much cleaner underhood without a bunch of sensors and wires in the way.

more driveable then a carb? how? I have never had a problem driving with a carb. I know the fuel mileage might increase and all this stuff but still I never had any problems with one.Only thing different would be pumping the pedal a couple times or maybe tapping it once running to help it get warmed up, but I never run a choke either.

Last edited:

Bad91Bowtie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
carb, I hate fuel injection as far as trying to trouble shoot and carb is soo much easier to work on and sooo much cleaner underhood without a bunch of sensors and wires in the way.

more driveable then a carb? how? I have never had a problem driving with a carb. I know the fuel mileage might increase and all this stuff but still I never had any problems with one.Only thing different would be pumping the pedal a couple times or maybe tapping it once running to help it get warmed up, but I never run a choke either.

My thoughts exactly.
A properly tuned carb is just as streetable as TBI, I daily drive my carbed swapped OBS without any problems.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
You guys have no idea. It gets to -30 some winter mornings here in SD. Often times we get a whole month when the temp stays below 10 during the day. Carbs just don't work very well when its that cold.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
we've had that plenty here and ours work fine. it takes a little longer you sitting out there pumping the pedal to keep it going but like I said I don't run a choke on them at all it's wired open. I aint sure on -30 we've probably had it but I know there's plenty of times in the winter here it doesn't get over 10.

I understand what you're saying man but for me tbi don't work good for me in the morning when it's cold, my truck doesn't like it, and that's when it's only like 30-40 above LOL.

Bad91Bowtie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You guys have no idea. It gets to -30 some winter mornings here in SD. Often times we get a whole month when the temp stays below 10 during the day. Carbs just don't work very well when its that cold.

That's a good argument but, what did you guy's drive 20 years ago when there was no options besides a carb?
It had to work, or ya'll just couldn't drive during the winter I guess. LOL

No matter how could it get's the motor still has to reach normal operating temp, right?

Now here in Ga, it doesn't get that cold. Maybe the lowest is around 20 deg. and it takes a little longer to warm up but like Swims said, I don't run a choke either.
I still only hit the pedal 3 times, start the truck, let it idle for a minute then go.