TBI issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey yall I lost the flat white plastic washer on the male end of my fuel return line adapter that screws into the tbi housing, when I re assembled everything my truck ran fine but I noticed a drip on the passenger side fuel pod, it still sprayed but was dripping. Figured id try and fix it and replaced it with a similar sized nitrile O ring. I also replaced the O rings on my fuel lines with nitrile O rings I found in my garage, they seemed to fit ok. I re assembled everything and the truck ran like it was starved of fuel for a couple seconds then shut off. I looked at the engine bay and saw leaks from both fuel lines and a leak from the fuel return line adapter (big thing the fuel line itself screws into). I then replaced the fuel line O rings with oem spec viton O rings, replaced the worn out plumberes tape with new stuff, removed the fuel return line adapter, put some plumbers tape on it too.

Here is where things go bad from my own mistakes, I stripped the the tbi threads on the passenger side because I screwed it in at a wrong angle, I looked inside and could see the O ring sitting in the housing and I forgot to remove it, I then ran in the adapter all the way with no O ring just like before. I stripped my other adapter in the same fashion but ran it in the right way with no problems before.

I re assemble everything, truck starts runs at very low rpm just as before then cuts off, when I checked nothing was leaking, I then poured some gas into the intake and the truck ran at 1000 rpm for a couple seconds then slowed down, back fired and shut off. Its worth noting that I also replaced my oem sparkplugs with accel header plugs that I gapped to 40 just as my oem plugs were gapped. Any help would be greatly appreciated

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
you'll need a new unit if the threads are stripped. I happen to have the one I pulled off my 95, but the connectors will be different for TPS, IAC valve.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the connectors will be different for TPS, IAC valve.
I thought just the TPS was different (flat to round plug) but the IAC was different on BBC to SBC? I had to get the TPS adapter for mine but, the IAC fit fine, maybe I'm wrong, it's happened once or twice, ha ha.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the fuel pressure? How old is the filter?

"Plumber's Tape"? Remove ALL of that crap, including the tiny shreded stuff. That shiit will shred and go all sorts of places you don't want it to be. Don't ever use "Plumber's Tape" on an automobile. Chemical sealers on pipe thread are acceptable. Tape isn't. And there's not much of the fuel system that's put together with pipe thread.

Plumbing work in your home is different. That shiit gets assembled, and stays that way for decades, maybe the life of the house. Automotive crap gets disassembled, the tape shreds, and plugs up the system you used it on--fuel system, oiling system, coolant or vacuum systems, etc.

Slade88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
More updates everyone, im starting to suspect its the spark plugs or im not getting power to the injectors. When I put a 9 volt on the injector pod it dripped fuel out the left and right and made an audible click noise. I also am getting plenty fuel pressure and fuel is passing through the unit and dripping out the return line when i removed the unit. Bought a noid light tester to see if im getting power to the injectors. Will update