TBI EGR issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Allen4rmGromLak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saturday on my way to work my truck (TBI engine) started to sputter at cruising speeds. Like the timing was off. So thinking maybe a vacuum leak I checked everything. Guy at work said the EGR valve might have a hole in the diafram and cause a vacuum leak. We put a cap on the line going from the solenoid to the EGR valve. Runs perfect now. No sputting at speed.

Can I leave this line plugged off? I don't wanna damage my engine with this temporary "fix". I drive about 60 miles each day around trip. O'Reilly has a EGR valve for ~$40. I don't get paid until Friday and already spent all my money putting gas into the old girl.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I left mine plugged/capped off for several hundred miles until I had the money (broke college student) to replace the valve. I’d say you’re fine. It will eventually throw a cel though.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Saturday on my way to work my truck (TBI engine) started to sputter at cruising speeds. Like the timing was off. So thinking maybe a vacuum leak I checked everything. Guy at work said the EGR valve might have a hole in the diafram and cause a vacuum leak. We put a cap on the line going from the solenoid to the EGR valve. Runs perfect now. No sputting at speed.

Can I leave this line plugged off? I don't wanna damage my engine with this temporary "fix". I drive about 60 miles each day around trip. O'Reilly has a EGR valve for ~$40. I don't get paid until Friday and already spent all my money putting gas into the old girl.
Won't damage anything. A lot of people plate off the EGR, they sell block off plates for it. Your dummy light will probably be on until you replace it, but to my knowledge it doesn't hurt anything except your gas mileage to a small extent.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Allen4rmGromLak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's already came on. Took the truck to the store today, seems to run ALOT better. Except for the SES light. And the 300k miles of wear on the engine. Hopefully will he able to afford a new EGR valve on Friday.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is a potential for spark knock at part throttle if you block off the EGR without disabling it in the tune. Personally I wouldn't run it that way for very long, but a few days shouldn't hurt anything.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score

Don't fire the parts cannon just yet, especially if you're broke. Diagnose it before replacing. Sounds like a possible fuel starvation issue too. What kind of fuel pressure are you seeing at the TB? Have you tested the system for vacuum leaks yet?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a potential for spark knock at part throttle if you block off the EGR without disabling it in the tune
Yeah, part of the EGR routine is the ECM adds timing to your spark map so, there is a potential of knock and then spark reduction. I'm not a fan of throwing mostly burned gasses back in the combustion chamber (mainly to reduce NOx), I'd rather tune it out and go to Hywy Lean Cruise at ~16.7:1 AFR and 42* spark advance. No KCs according to data logging.

Allen4rmGromLak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't fire the parts cannon just yet, especially if you're broke. Diagnose it before replacing. Sounds like a possible fuel starvation issue too. What kind of fuel pressure are you seeing at the TB? Have you tested the system for vacuum leaks yet?

The fuel pump is new. I don't have a vacuum pump to test the system. But so far 200 miles and idles smooth and good acceleration, and no more sputtering at cruising speed. Reason why I don't think it's the pump is that I can floor it at cruising speed and it jumps up and goes with the vacuum port on the solenoid plugged off. I get a SES light after about 10 mins of driving. And side benefit, my fuel milage has increased

Yeah, part of the EGR routine is the ECM adds timing to your spark map so, there is a potential of knock and then spark reduction. I'm not a fan of throwing mostly burned gasses back in the combustion chamber (mainly to reduce NOx), I'd rather tune it out and go to Hywy Lean Cruise at ~16.7:1 AFR and 42* spark advance. No KCs according to data logging.

I'm gonna tune it out completely with a Carb/L31/224 duration cam tune.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna tune it out completely with a Carb/L31/224 duration cam tune.
I wouldn't go with a carb. That's like going back to the 60s technology. There's a lot more involved than just throwing a carb and a cam at it. What year truck do you have, does it have a 4l60e trans? How are you going to control it and the dizzy? Some basic questions to start...

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
The fuel pump is new. I don't have a vacuum pump to test the system. But so far 200 miles and idles smooth and good acceleration, and no more sputtering at cruising speed. Reason why I don't think it's the pump is that I can floor it at cruising speed and it jumps up and goes with the vacuum port on the solenoid plugged off. I get a SES light after about 10 mins of driving. And side benefit, my fuel milage has increased...

Ah, I missed the part of sputtering while cruising but ok everywhere else.