Odd random EGR code 92 blazer 383 TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This build was done specifically to not need an ecm tune. Don’t be mislead by myths on the old ecm’s and tuning. They simply control timing and fuel so far as performance. Running a 14.7 A/F says the tune is fine.
Even a bone stock engine setup can benefit from tuning. One thing that can be enabled is lean cruise which leans the mixture at part throttle cruise to as high as 16.5:1 AFR. Just saying!!!

92BlazerSport

Reaction score
Even a bone stock engine setup can benefit from tuning. One thing that can be enabled is lean cruise which leans the mixture at part throttle cruise to as high as 16.5:1 AFR. Just saying!!!
Of course the AF varies but I’d like to stay on topic. Odd EGR error. My AF varies from 12.9-16.2 and idles at 14.7-14.8. I’ve spoken with Ryan half a dozen times and the gain from the tune would be minimal at best.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. You have a stock tune with a not so stock motor and now you're getting trouble codes. Seems the two aren't playing well together. May just need the EGR parameters changed a little.

92BlazerSport

Reaction score
OK. You have a stock tune with a not so stock motor and now you're getting trouble codes. Seems the two aren't playing well together. May just need the EGR parameters changed a little.
I’d agree except for I can do the exact same drive several days in a row, cruise set at the same speed and on any given day it is fine or errors. It’s not a tune issue. Looking at a dozen forums, seems this happens broadly. No single common finding but it’s never been an ecm tune from any forum I’ve read. I’m working through the manuals. Thanks for the replies.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I’d agree except for I can do the exact same drive several days in a row, cruise set at the same speed and on any given day it is fine or errors. It’s not a tune issue. Looking at a dozen forums, seems this happens broadly. No single common finding but it’s never been an ecm tune from any forum I’ve read. I’m working through the manuals. Thanks for the replies.
Let us know when you've read that troubleshooting section thoroughly. It'll become instantly clear why it's seemingly random that you get the code.

Depending on each individual's driving conditions, one can theoretically (and realistically) drive around a truck with a 100% failed EGR valve and NEVER get a code 32.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Original poster says he can't reply in this thread. I don't know why. I've asked him to try again, via PM.

Posting this to assure the thread isn't locked.

For the original poster, 92BlazerSport:

Still want to know what manifold and heads you have; 'cause if you're still using the swirl-port stockers, you've got way too much timing advance. If you have Vortec heads, they've got no exhaust-gas crossover, so you'd have to plumb an external exhaust gas tube from your headers across the valve cover to the intake manifold.

As for the EGR, you've said that you "replaced" parts, but not that you've tested to see if the EGR pintle actually lifts when the engine is fully-warm and the throttle is opened.

The EGR valve is a backpressure-sensing type, "I suppose" that major exhaust system changes could alter the operation of the valve. In reality, I've never heard of this actually happening.

Last edited: