Talk me into, or out of, it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's the only downside to my 30 year love affair with duallys, so....many....damn....tires!
Yeah.. try buying 19.5's!! And I don't mean the sketchy Chinesium brands.. good 19.5's are $300+/ea. The Goodyears I put on my 3500HD are $350/ea!

Anyway, that $1294 total is out the door - installation, lifetime balance and flat repairs, and tax.

Falken Wildpeak H/T02s are awesome tires. I've run the Wildpeak HTs on a bunch of rigs over the years. They are my go-to highway tread, just wish they came in an OWL tire, like they used to.
That was one of the choices the local Discount showed me, at $186/ea vs. the BFG Commercial T/A 2's at $176. Fortunately I'd already put the BFG's in my cart as when I looked again later they're currently showing $224/ea! I placed the order today and paid, and the rep just called to let me know the tires had already been delivered to their store.

I've run Falkens in the past (decades ago) and chose one model of their sport truck style tires (Ziex STZ/01, I think? it's been forever) on my '92 ECLB as they had a nice square sidewall profile and didn't bulge out, causing less worry about fender lip cuts. Not bad tires.

Richard

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Falken Wildpeak H/T02s are awesome tires. I've run the Wildpeak HTs on a bunch of rigs over the years. They are my go-to highway tread, just wish they came in an OWL tire, like they used to.
I think that's what they are. I know I didn't do an a/t or anything because it isn't 4x4 an was going to be like 99.7% on road use.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
That was one of the choices the local Discount showed me, at $186/ea vs. the BFG Commercial T/A 2's at $176. Fortunately I'd already put the BFG's in my cart as when I looked again later they're currently showing $224/ea! I placed the order today and paid, and the rep just called to let me know the tires had already been delivered to their store.

I've run Falkens in the past (decades ago) and chose one model of their sport truck style tires (Ziex STZ/01, I think? it's been forever) on my '92 ECLB as they had a nice square sidewall profile and didn't bulge out, causing less worry about fender lip cuts. Not bad tires.

Richard

That was more affirmation for bluex with my statement. I think the BFG Commericals are a good tire too, we ran those on our 2500HD Duramaxes that lived under gooseneck trailers in a past job.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You know I have 2 duallys right? The the 98 has 19's and the square has 19.5s...
I did forget your square has Frito 19.5 wheels on it. Thank goodness you don't need load range G 245's on it though as those will put a serious hurt on your wallet. Well my HD didn't "need" them either, but they were there, soooo......

Back to the 93.. got a little bit of work today before the sky opened up (with hail!) so I quickly moved the 300 inside so it wouldn't get dinged up. By the time the crappy weather stopped it was time for dinner.

Installed my old HD handles after swapping over the 93's lock cylinders, lubed up the lock rods inside the door and the latches so everything is moving correctly again (and only locked myself out of the truck once, good thing I have tools for that) - thought about it a little too late but the grab handle portion is universal and can be swapped between the L and R baseplates; I could have put the less-worn handle on the driver side. Eh.. it was already mounted up and that's enough of a pain, so I left it. Worn and beater is kind of the point anyway. (Hinge bushings in the very near future for this door...) I also reinforced the interior grab handle mounting as it was the usual broken-up mess. Drilled two small holes in the plastic behind it where the little posts always break off, then ran self-tappers through into the base, behind the panel.
You must be registered for see images attach

Installed a bunch of 194 bulbs where some were burned out or missing altogether. Also the new TruckLite tailgate marker bulbs as only one was working previously.

A sharp eye will notice the passenger side wiper dips too low. When PO replaced the wiper motor (it probably just needed the socket re-soldered) he clearly didn't adjust the linkages correctly, so I'll have to go back in and do that. But first, I'll have to get the glass shop to pull and re-install the damn windshield because that blue painter's tape he left on there? That was there to keep it from leaking!!! Sonofabitch..

Tomorrow morning.. new tires get mounted, and I'm planning on installing the wheels using those ridiculously long spline drive Gorilla lugs I have leftover from other stuff - and coincidentally, I happen to have exactly 32 of them somehow. I'm tempted to paint the wheels but I really can't decide what color they should be. Original gray, satin black, or... leave 'em be? They're really faded, splotchy gray at the moment. I've got all 4 trim rings though 1 is a little banged up.

Richard

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did forget your square has Frito 19.5 wheels on it. Thank goodness you don't need load range G 245's on it though as those will put a serious hurt on your wallet. Well my HD didn't "need" them either, but they were there, soooo......

Back to the 93.. got a little bit of work today before the sky opened up (with hail!) so I quickly moved the 300 inside so it wouldn't get dinged up. By the time the crappy weather stopped it was time for dinner.

Installed my old HD handles after swapping over the 93's lock cylinders, lubed up the lock rods inside the door and the latches so everything is moving correctly again (and only locked myself out of the truck once, good thing I have tools for that) - thought about it a little too late but the grab handle portion is universal and can be swapped between the L and R baseplates; I could have put the less-worn handle on the driver side. Eh.. it was already mounted up and that's enough of a pain, so I left it. Worn and beater is kind of the point anyway. (Hinge bushings in the very near future for this door...) I also reinforced the interior grab handle mounting as it was the usual broken-up mess. Drilled two small holes in the plastic behind it where the little posts always break off, then ran self-tappers through into the base, behind the panel.

Installed a bunch of 194 bulbs where some were burned out or missing altogether. Also the new TruckLite tailgate marker bulbs as only one was working previously.

A sharp eye will notice the passenger side wiper dips too low. When PO replaced the wiper motor (it probably just needed the socket re-soldered) he clearly didn't adjust the linkages correctly, so I'll have to go back in and do that. But first, I'll have to get the glass shop to pull and re-install the damn windshield because that blue painter's tape he left on there? That was there to keep it from leaking!!! Sonofabitch..

Tomorrow morning.. new tires get mounted, and I'm planning on installing the wheels using those ridiculously long spline drive Gorilla lugs I have leftover from other stuff - and coincidentally, I happen to have exactly 32 of them somehow. I'm tempted to paint the wheels but I really can't decide what color they should be. Original gray, satin black, or... leave 'em be? They're really faded, splotchy gray at the moment. I've got all 4 trim rings though 1 is a little banged up.

Richard
I love the HD handles on there. Looks great.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Man, I love clearance lights. So rad. I dig the taillights on the tailgate too, when did those become optional? I think they'd look pretty good just below the emblems too. Bump the emblems by about an inch and then put those just above the body line. Meh, then they'd probably hit the bumper.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Man, I love clearance lights. So rad. I dig the taillights on the tailgate too, when did those become optional? I think they'd look pretty good just below the emblems too. Bump the emblems by about an inch and then put those just above the body line. Meh, then they'd probably hit the bumper.
The tailgate markers are OEM, and required by law on the dually. (So are the cab markers and dually fender markers.) The early 400 duallies got the rear ones across the tailgate, and at some point (1995 maybe? I'd have to investigate to be sure) they moved them to a single assembly of 3 in the gap between the tailgate and bumper. Cleaner look and harder to damage, but these were already there on the tailgate, so I fixed 'em. It's 4 holes for each light btw! 2 for the rivets that hold the socket to the sheetmetal, and 2 for the bullet contacts.

Ya know, my old '92 ECLB had a tailgate off a dually and I had to remove all that junk when I first got it. No way I was letting those ride on that type of truck. You can just barely see where I masked off and primered the spots they were in, before the truck got body and paint later. Also a glimpse of the rare all-clear tails and even rarer all-clear Caprice tails!

Richard

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The tailgate markers are OEM, and required by law on the dually. (So are the cab markers and dually fender markers.) The early 400 duallies got the rear ones across the tailgate, and at some point (1995 maybe? I'd have to investigate to be sure) they moved them to a single assembly of 3 in the gap between the tailgate and bumper. Cleaner look and harder to damage, but these were already there on the tailgate, so I fixed 'em. It's 4 holes for each light btw! 2 for the rivets that hold the socket to the sheetmetal, and 2 for the bullet contacts.

Ya know, my old '92 ECLB had a tailgate off a dually and I had to remove all that junk when I first got it. No way I was letting those ride on that type of truck. You can just barely see where I masked off and primered the spots they were in, before the truck got body and paint later. Also a glimpse of the rare all-clear tails and even rarer all-clear Caprice tails!

Richard

Neither of which are as rare as snow in Houston.