Talk me into, or out of, it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
Ok, so more freeway than I was thinking. My thought was for the simplicity of not having the electronics, or the cost. I suppose swapping to 3.73s would ease the 1:1 ratio, but then that's also more cost/work.

I have both at once, actual 4.10 rear and my Doug Nash OD makes it a 3.73.

on the freeway once you get up to about 60 or so switching to 3.73 great, but now that I have the DNE reliable I spend most of my time in 4.10 because it really make a large difference in acceleration and such at in-town/low speeds. I would not recommend a th400 nor would I recommend regearing to 3.73 unless you run empty on highway at 70 most of the time.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Try some heat on those EGR nuts too. And from my couch, I'd say you've got plenty of room. Look at how well my ECSB fit into my garage.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

I could swear I remember it being tighter. Meh.
Definitely less than 2' overall left front and rear and can still get the garage door closed, so no way a ECLB is fitting in there. RCLB or ECSB only. :(

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No pics for the little bit of failure today..

Tried propane torch on the EGR bolts. No dice. It's hard to get in there and not burn the TPS due to close proximity, so I'll have to pull the TBI if I'm going to proceed further with heat. With that in mind I do have a TBI base plate gasket (and EGR gasket too) on order; probably needs them anyway. After some mild heat I tried more PB Blaster, tried beating the nut counter-clockwise with a chisel, etc. They aren't budging. I may just end up having to destroy the nuts and replace them and the studs, IF I can get them out.

I did pull the chrome spline drive lugs and replaced them with the originals thanks to a heads-up from @modernbeat (edit - and @bluex too!) as I'd never paid attention the regular 3500 dually lugs were 90° seat instead of 60°. I'm missing 3 of the correct ones thanks to someone else replacing wheel studs and nuts so I'll have to order a few more. For now, I've sacrificed some extra 60° nuts to the cause.

Decided to attack the coolant leak at the thermostat housing, looks like it's the upper hose not sealing tight to the housing. Start digging in there to pull the hose and it's just packed with corrosion from extensive seeping/leaking, to the point the hose appears swollen at the end and needs replacement as I'm gonna have to cut it off to remove it. Hoping the housing will clean up well enough as a new one is $40... won't know until I cut the hose off and I don't wanna do that until I have a new one in hand.

The one win for the day? Got the title work put through and have new plates/registration now. They tried to kick it back on me due to a "lien" on the vehicle but it turns out it was an old one from 1997. Had to talk to a supervisor at the tax office but we got it done.

Richard

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamiej80