Talk me into, or out of, it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Got a lot done on the front end today, usually this should be a 1 day job but there were.. complications. Having barely enough room to work is one of 'em!

You must be registered for see images attach

Got the front end pulled apart and found some issues. One sway bar end link broke off (rusted thin where it went through the LCA), driver side brake hose is TOAST, driver side rotor is REALLY bad on the backside (worst rotor I've seen excluding ones worn all the way through to the vanes), and all 4 ball joint boots are dry rotted and split.

The 1 ton springs needed a little persuasion to pop out of the spring pockets and I wasn't feeling too lucky, so I used a 3K lb wrecker ratchet strap looped through the middle coil and ran across to the opposite side's upper control arm, ran some strap up on the ratchet so it wouldn't slip out, but left the strap slack so the spring could move a little when I pried on it with the long bar. No drama whatsoever. A little jump out of the pocket and it was done.

Mounted up the spindles and cleaned up so the wife and I could go out for hibachi. Been a while and we'd been missing the place. Good stuff. :) Got back and relaxed a little while then back on the job..

And yes, it's going back together with the bad rotor, bad ball joint boots, etc. I've got to give this thing a shakedown run to see what else needs to be done after the drop. Then it'll be another order of parts to deal with the newly-found issues. (I do already have a brake hose coming, not gonna wait on that one.)

Pulled the sway bar frame brackets so it's out of the way until I get end links. Installed the shocks, and while I was jacking up the driver side LCA to make clearance for shock install, my 2 year old Arcan 3 ton jack (nearly $300) QUIT. It's dead. Tried bleeding it, adding some fluid, nah, it's done. POS

Went ahead and cleaned up all the wheel bearings and rotors, packed with fresh grease instead of the 3 different kinds of didn't-seem-like-the-right-stuff grease, and installed. I'll take this moment to mention Dorman cotter pins are trash. They're so ridiculously strong you can't cut them or even bend them easily. Imagine having to fight with Superman cotter pins. That's what these are. Jeezus..

So the truck is stranded up on the jack stands until I go out later today and buy ANOTHER new floor jack. The Arcan has a 1 year warranty so it's 1 year expired already.

Will probably roll the fender lips just for good measure before installing the wheels.

Richard

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had this 3 years, zero issues. 20% Off Fathers Day = $112. Just sayin
It's worth spending the little extra for the low profile version when you've got lowered stuff, but yes, these jacks work well.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Light duty jacks struggle with a 3500.
Yep. You'd figure I was OK with a 3 ton jack, but this one barely made it 2 years with light home duty. I'm looking at what my local options are, and Home Depot has a Husky (all steel) low profile 3 ton for $179. 3-1/8" to 19-3/4". The vehicle I really need the low profile feature for is the 300.

Richard