Talk me into, or out of, it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You were hot, tired, and pissed off. Go back at it when you get 30 minutes, I'll bet things fall into place.
For sure.. I was really trying to get it together enough to set back down off jackstands and drive it outside so my car could go back in the garage.

Any suggestions on dealing with the u-bolts? None of the first thoughts seem like good ideas, and those involve a grinder, die grinder, and hammer. ;)

Richard

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For sure.. I was really trying to get it together enough to set back down off jackstands and drive it outside so my car could go back in the garage.

Any suggestions on dealing with the u-bolts? None of the first thoughts seem like good ideas, and those involve a grinder, die grinder, and hammer. ;)

Richard
I guess I'm not sure what your issue is. I've always just squeezed the ends together to get them through the plate. Once through they're good to go.

SentandBent4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^This. My temper is much better than it was when I was young, I don't throw tools anymore, but you have to stop sometimes, and get a fresh perspective, before you lose your ****, and go the hell off.

Some of the simplest jobs, are the ones that give the most trouble.
Nuttin like breaking off a stupid bolt

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's difficult to tell from my vantage point, but your axle tube look a little crusty. Could a wire wheel where the u bolts sit free up enough room to solve the fitment issues or at least reduce them to the point of being more easily managed?

Appreciate the reply on the spacer thickness.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought axle tube looked pretty clean for a 30 year old truck. It is hard to tell in that picture how much u-bolts are sitting up from tube. Looks close enough where you could just squeeze into plate and tighten, but maybe picture doesn’t show issue. Maybe he’s ordered new u-bolts.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah the crust is pretty superficial. Out of 4 u-bolts, 2 slip right over and the other 2 fight and spread out. Doesn't matter which position you put them in (i.e. swapped for the 2 that slip right over), so it's the bolts, not the tube. I'll be battling it possibly later this morning or tomorrow. Had to get back to work the past 4 nights and those are really long shifts, so by the time I get home I'm beat. I'm beat right now.. but itching to get the truck back on the ground so I can move to work on the front.

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d contact Belltech and make them send you 2 more. Of course, might not work for your schedule.