Tailgate cable vs steel link?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lxe4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey there. Haven't seen a set on a truck in quite a while, never seen new ones in a store or aftermarket catalogue, those steel bars that are used instead of cables to limit the tailgate in the down position. having some experience with the steel cables, i wonder what those with experience with the steel bars think of them? seems to me they would break much less than the cables. Do they rattle a bunch?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
They were used IIRC 88-92 on the GMT400 trucks. On the two later truck's i've had (98 and a 99) I've swapped them over.

They are just noisy when you open the tailgate and less "smooth" but they are considerably stronger. I've seen tons of broken cables... never a broken strap.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I remember when that was what they all had. You need to keep them greased or they bind but then grease gets all over you and your clothes. Cables last quit a while and are cheap I don't see the need to change.