T-stat housing bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerrys1990

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too late now, and I don't know if it's been tried, but for future reference, try a Mayhew Tools 37315 3/8" drive air hammer bit in a air hammer, with the appropriate socket, after letting it soak in PB Blaster and hitting with just a little bit of heat. If it fails using that method, failure was inevitable.
We tried that too. Today's update is: failure was inevitable as paragon mentioned, and I got a better looking stock intake from a coworker's friend for $20. All new gaskets were ordered and the boys at work will be swapping it out for me by Friday. The good news is, this will allow me to see if the block has the roller lifter provisions when it's disassembled. Also, the "new" intake has the correct heater hose fitting at the rear instead of the hack job plumbing pipe stuff there currently. The new GM gaskets have some restrictor looking things built in to the coolant passages and they're the ones listed for 1990....I hope that all of this will restore my heaters function to "as designed."

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We tried that too. Today's update is: failure was inevitable as paragon mentioned, and I got a better looking stock intake from a coworker's friend for $20. All new gaskets were ordered and the boys at work will be swapping it out for me by Friday. The good news is, this will allow me to see if the block has the roller lifter provisions when it's disassembled. Also, the "new" intake has the correct heater hose fitting at the rear instead of the hack job plumbing pipe stuff there currently. The new GM gaskets have some restrictor looking things built in to the coolant passages and they're the ones listed for 1990....I hope that all of this will restore my heaters function to "as designed."

I pull those quick connects and replace them with an actual steel hose barb for a van. Then run a regular heater hose off it. Eliminates that leak prone quick connect. If it is the OEM fitting, it is made of a pot metal like substance and they love to break off in the manifold.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The quick connect is a poor design/implemenration and should be replaced with sonething better when given the opportunity.
Yes but, every rule has an exception - in this case the Dorman Quick Connect fittings are actually better than OEM o_O They are made from actual metal. Alas, they can't get the application right, it fits 87 on up ;)

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the "new" intake has the correct heater hose fitting at the rear instead of the hack job plumbing pipe stuff there currently.
There is nothing wrong with the quick-coupler that isn't fixed by the Dorman replacement...provided Dorman is still making it like they did twenty-something years ago.

The Dorman quick-coupler I put on my '88 K1500 around Y2K was in such perfect condition in 2018 that I screwed it onto my new engine.

I haven't even changed the heater hose side of the coupler.

The new GM gaskets have some restrictor looking things built in to the coolant passages and they're the ones listed for 1990....I hope that all of this will restore my heaters function to "as designed."
The heater won't work any better--won't get any hotter. It will assure that the coolant flow through the intake manifold is as the engineers intended--from the thermostat area, down below the air/fuel plenum, and out the heater circuit.

Yes but, every rule has an exception - in this case the Dorman Quick Connect fittings are actually better than OEM
Given Dorman's reputation, I bought an extra coupler from them about a year ago, as I was afraid they'd discontinue this gem. I just hope it's still as durable as the older ones.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the quick-coupler that isn't fixed by the Dorman replacement...provided Dorman is still making it like they did twenty-something years ago.

The Dorman quick-coupler I put on my '88 K1500 around Y2K was in such perfect condition in 2018 that I screwed it onto my new engine.

I haven't even changed the heater hose side of the coupler.

The heater won't work any better--won't get any hotter. It will assure that the coolant flow through the intake manifold is as the engineers intended--from the thermostat area, down below the air/fuel plenum, and out the heater circuit.

Given Dorman's reputation, I bought an extra coupler from them about a year ago, as I was afraid they'd discontinue this gem. I just hope it's still as durable as the older ones.
heater hose restrictors are for slowing down coolant flow in order to reduce cavitation
And to extend the life of the core (reduces the shock and pressures seen there)