Swapping Heavy 3/4 ton suspension and axles into my '88 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
As you may have seen in my previous thread here, I lost my front axle on the trail a few weeks ago. Well this week I got home from college, and just picked up this '92 GMC K2500HD to strip the axles and suspension components out of originally, but now I'm leaning towards just putting my body on that frame. New truck is a 6.5L Turbo Diesel with an Auto (4L80E?) and I'm guessing a 14 bolt corporate rear. 6.5 doesn't run, Going to try to get it fired and sell it. No title so going to take what I need off of it then part the rest out.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If the frame is the same, drop your body on that frame. End problem. There is no 'quick' and easy way to convert a half ton to a 3/4 or one ton. It's still going to be registered as a 1/2 ton and will raise eyebrows when you get stopped by a LEO, an excuse for them to go over it with a fine tooth comb.

FWIW, sell the half ton and buy a 3/4 ton if that's what you desire. Cheapest, easiest way, and you can also haul more in it without getting in trouble.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
If the frame is the same, drop your body on that frame. End problem. There is no 'quick' and easy way to convert a half ton to a 3/4 or one ton. It's still going to be registered as a 1/2 ton and will raise eyebrows when you get stopped by a LEO, an excuse for them to go over it with a fine tooth comb.

FWIW, sell the half ton and buy a 3/4 ton if that's what you desire. Cheapest, easiest way, and you can also haul more in it without getting in trouble.

Not really after a 3/4 ton for hauling capabilities, just looking to replace my front diff and got the truck cheaper than I could find a front center section. Only hauling the truck is used for is on the farm so I don't have to worry about Cops inspecting stuff. Truck is used a lot for four wheeling and beefy-er axles should prevent some problems I've been having with that.

Might swap body onto frame after all though, not sure yet though. Gotta check everything out first.

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Only guy I've ever know of that did it successfully (pictures are long gone): http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64681&highlight=3/4+ton+ifs+swap

You'll have to dig through the thread for info. Its the typical one guy actually doing it and a dozen sh¡t flies buzzing around with bullsh¡t comments and questions.

That truck was sold long ago so no further info is available than that thread. Even the pics are gone LPPoff his personal web site. Was in contact with him once upon a time and got lots of info and advice.

Lots of people have barked about doing it, some have claimed to "Frankenstein" it, very few have done it and even fewer have done it right. The amount of people who have carried through on their claims can be counted on one hand (or less).

I thought about doing it to a 1500 before but abandoned it after some pondering and aforementioned info from the guy who did it.

There are no "mounts" to strip out of the frame. It is the frame itself. You have to chop and hack on the diff case. You need to lop the top mount off and install an aftermarket bracket for starters. Then there's the CV axles to deal with. Then the live spindles. Then the suspension. Then the...well, you be the idea.

Lots a work. More trouble than its worth IMHO. Especially if you're doing it because its what you have lying around and you need the truck running. You'll end up with more down time than you wanted for sure. Just find a standard 8.25 center section and bolt it in. They're cheap (relatively) and they're everywhere.

And once its done, you still only have a FM 9?25 its in there. About the only real plus is you can buy a locker for it. And then you're putting more stress on it it if you wheel it. Which pretty much puts you right back in 8.25 territory (in strength) anyways...

Your rear axle is a 10.5 full floater. Full boat 2500 axle. Also used in the 3500. Swaps right over with new axle u bolts.

At the end of the day, do as you wish. But its not a straight transfer and requires more fabrication than most are capable of. When I say capable of, I mean doing it right.

Anyone can kludge parts together, but it just ends up being a mess and usually weaker than what they started with. Or worse case, just damned unsafe for themselves and everyone around them.

Good luck.

:)

P.S. the 92 6.5 has the mechanical db2 pump and the standalone 4l80E TCM. Simplest and most desirable of the GM 6.x diesels. Also the most reliable of the breed. Except for paint and small things, the one in your pics looks in pretty good shape or at least easily salvageable. I suppose it would be easier if some arse hadn't peppered it with bullet holes in the front. If it runs, I'd consider just get it spiffed up and drive that.

Last edited:

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Bottom line swap the body over or SAS

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Yeah Great White no title in this situation means no title and nearly no chance of getting one, so driving the 92 is out of the question. After looking over everything I'm leaning towards swapping my body onto the 92's frame, along with my engine and 5speed. 6.5 doesn't run, but figured i'd try to get it running and keep it around for a possible swap later. Gonna go talk to my old shop teacher this morning and get his opinion on my plans. Thanks for the help guys.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
If you pull the cab off both of them, the drivetrain swap will be a piece of cake. I'd be much more inclined to do this. I'd be chopping her to a short bed if your fab skills are A+. Mine came out AWESOME, but thats all up to you at that point.