NBS rear disk swap into a 95 K1500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard a loud BANG! Followed by a speed bump ( on the freeway). I milked it home the last few miles and parked it and inspected. I found a 1 inch hole in my differential cover! Pulling the cover I found lots of metal in the bottom, and a complete tooth missing off the ring gear that had shot right out the cover!
I have the sense that folks don't believe me when I say that the 10-bolt, 8.5" differentials EXPLODE in normal service. GM had no business using them under a full-size truck.

If you put another 10-bolt axle back in...

I went for the 6-lug 14-bolt semi-float, 9.5" ring gear, that's heaps stronger than the 8.5".

Yeah, the OEM discs can be an upgrade from the 254mm (10") leading/trailing shoe drum brakes. I'd be careful selecting a replacement master cylinder, and control valving.

Suburbanman

Reaction score
So a small update, I need to replace the pads in the rear end and went to Checker to grab a cheep set. I ended up getting 2001 pads to put in it, so I guess I put a 2001 pickup rear end in my Burb. Still running great, but its time to pull off the tires and check for any signs of wear.