Swapping Heavy 3/4 ton suspension and axles into my '88 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, and sorry planning to keep the long bed. It comes in handy hauling hay here on the farm.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
If your gona eventually swap to the 6.5 just leave it in there no sense in pulling it out switching everything over to gas then pulling all that stuff later and switching everything back to diesel also are yohbplannjng to use the 4l80? Or swap in your 4l60 if you swap the 350 in?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
His sig says 305/5speed. What manual you got hm290? And i hear you on the long bed. They are nice if you are gonna work them, mine is a toy and i like the look of the single cab short bed.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Definitely going to just swap cabs and front ends. When I said I was thinking of keeping the 6.5 I meant for another project, not to swap into my truck, but I've already found plenty of people interested in buying it so I'll probably just sell it. Currently my truck has a 305 and NV3500 5speed, and I eventually want to build a healthy 350 and put in a NV4500.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Should have the 599 block. One of the more sought after gm castings.
Whatever you do, don't f up the throttle cable. Can't get them anymore for the db2 trucks. Worth a few bucks to someone who needs one.

If they only want the long block, keep the db2 and injector lines too.

Save the tcm and the wiring harness.

All sellable stuff and hard to come by....

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
I'll keep all of that in mind White. Went up to my old auto shop today and swapped my good tires onto the 8 lug wheels, then cleared out a spot in our old barn to start working on the beast. Time to start working!
You must be registered for see images attach

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Tried to get the 6.5 to fire. Cranked over and pulled fuel up the lines but couldn't get it to fire. Didn't try too long though cause one of the bullet holes in the front end went through the oil cooler and was spraying oil everywhere. Gonna list it on Craigslist or Ebay and get rid of it and the 4l80E the way they are. Got the front end, radiator, etc off and disconnected all wires and lines and stuff I can get to. Dropped drivelines. Now ready to drop Tcase tomorrow and pull engine/transmission.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Got busy with work around the house, putting up sheetrock in one of the basement rooms that was never finished, so this project got put on hold for a few days. Finally got back to it today, and was laying under the '92 trying to separate the Tcase from the tranny, scraping mud and dirt off of it into my face, when it dawned on me, why don't I just pull the cab first? Already had all lines and wires detached from the cab so just pulled the 4 bolts and lifted it off :)

Next, disconnected fuel lines and lifted the engine/tranny/tcase out as one piece.

Now here's my beautiful bare front end. Next thing is to pull the bed and start cleaning up the frame. Figure I might as well run a wire wheel over it and paint it while I have it stripped down.