Swapping Heavy 3/4 ton suspension and axles into my '88 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of updates, been busy with other stuff going on. Did get the new frame all cleaned up for the most part, and started disassembling my truck. Got the bed and front end off easy, then went to pick up the cab the same way I did on the donor truck (picking the cab up before pulling the engine/tranny), but just as I got the cab up high enough to pull it away from the frame one of the straps broke, spinning the front of the cab around and down onto my engine. Crushed the distributor cap, cut some spark plug wires, and bent the air cleaner a little bit, luckily doesn't seem to have done any terrible damage. Also dented the top of the cab a little bit where the chain dug into it when the strap broke. Hopefully I can straighten it out later. Now it just has the engine/tranny/transfer in the frame, and I'm about to start swapping the fuel tank and lines over to the new frame. Currently going through the engine and replacing gaskets, figured I might as well since I have it all accessible at the moment and it leaks oil pretty badly. Looks like its mainly the oil pan and timing cover gaskets that are leaking.
So, I still have plenty of work to do. Keep putting it on the bottom of my priorities list but gonna start working on it more now. Need my DD back on the road! I'll start adding more pictures once my internet's back up and running.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the cab man... That sux. Interested in seeing this when you are done. Keep up the work

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Internet is running (Kinda), so here are pictures:

Got the bed off of the 88
You must be registered for see images attach

Grille removed, ready to pull front end

Front end/cab off.

Got the other frame cleaned up a bit. Still trying to decide whether I want to put in the effort to sand and paint it or not.

Both Frames

Both Cabs, and the 88's front end parts. Above the door on the close side of the cab you can see a dent where the chain dug into the cab when the strap broke. Have to try to straighten it out later.

Both beds, think I'll be using the blue one as its in better shape than my old one.

Pulled the impact strip/body moulding of my passenger door and found that it is mostly bondo and rust, so I'll be swapping my manual windows/locks over into the blue doors and using them.

and the mess of donor truck parts shoved in the back of the garage.
ds

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
After battling with a cold of some kind for the last week, I finally got some work done. Replaced the timing cover and oil pan gaskets, which were both destroyed. Left the engine/tranny/transfer intact and lifted it out of the old frame and lowered it into the new. Turns out its not gonna just fall into place as I was hoping. Got the engine bolted into its mounts, but the tranny crossmember on the new frame is back 2-3" further than the one on my old frame, so the tranny won't fall into place. Looks like I'm gonna have to remove the crossmember, drill new holes in the frame, and remount it further forward in the frame.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
wouldnt hurt to grab some 80 grit sanding foam blocks and running over the frame real quick to knock off the easy rust, then spraying it down with some of spray paint that converts rust to paintable primer.

nobears

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll buy the fender flares off your donor truck if you'll ship them

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Sooo, due to an accident with a pitchfork, I ended up getting stabbed in the left arm and was too sore to do much for a while. Finally got back on it this weekend. Tomorrow's list includes:
~Connect Driveline
~Bleed Brakes and Clutch
~Install Drivers Inner Fender Well
~Install both fenders
~Install Grille
~Install Bumpers
And need to install the hood too, but that's gonna have to wait till Monday when I have somebody around to help because my left arm is still too sore to wrestle with it by myself.
Anyway, here's pictures:
How far I had to move the tranny crossmember forward. The hole in the frame behind the crossmember is where the old rear crossmember bolt was. It's a little over 2inches difference.

Surprisingly, after not touching a welder for a couple of years, my welds don't completely suck! Exhaust welded back together

Getting ready to put the cab on

Bolting Cab onto frame

This afternoon got all of the wiring and plumbing done, passenger side fender well in, and radiator installed.
Sorry for the quality of the video, took it with my phone and it was almost dark outside, but the old girl runs again!
Click this photo to view video

Last edited:

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Accidental double post.

Nobears, after I get the fenders and bed on I'm gonna see how far the wheels stick out and decide whether I want to run the flares or not. I'll PM you when I decide.

Last edited:

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Got the fenders, bumpers, and driveline installed, and got my brakes bled, but can't get the clutch bled. Probably would've been fine if I would have remembered to install the clutch before dropping the cab on, but unfortunately I forgot about it so I had to disconnect the slave and snake the line down behind the engine compartment. Not sure if the Master Cylinder blew a seal, or maybe I cracked the line and it's leaking somewhere. Have to look at it closer tomorrow. Hopefully it's not the line, as that line costs $63 at Autozone and O'reily's, and $80 at NAPA.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I had to pull my engine back out because of a leaking internal slave when i built mine :nono: To say the least, I was pissed.