Summit racing 1102 cam and hydraulic lifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m planning on installing a summit 1102 cam in my 95 5.7 4x4. The heads have been re done and have had heavier springs z28 to accommodate the cam. My question is I’m no motor builder are the hydraulic lifters actually necessary? And if so what benefit do they offer?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a flat tappet cam you should always install new lifters. When you break in the cam it and the lifters develop a wear pattern that matches each other. This is a critical process or your cam won't last very long. You also need an oil with high zinc and phosphorus or use ZDDP additive. There should be instructions on how to break them in included with the cam.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a flat tappet cam you should always install new lifters. When you break in the cam it and the lifters develop a wear pattern that matches each other. This is a critical process or your cam won't last very long. You also need an oil with high zinc and phosphorus or use ZDDP additive. There should be instructions on how to break them in included with the cam.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you, that helps a lot. So one more dumb question. Are hydraulic lifters what the truck comes with factory? I will replace just curious.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are hydraulic lifters what the truck comes with factory? I will replace just curious.
Yes, some trucks/cars came with roller cam and lifters but they're all hydraulic. Vortec engines all came with roller cam and lifters. You'll know if you have solid lifters by the continuous clatter from them. Usually they use solids on high performance applications.

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Flat tappet cam break in is critical, there are many guides/opinions online. As mentioned already you should use a Break-in oil or ZDDP additive and continue to even after. If additive you should contact the oil co of the brand you use for the correct ratio of the additive you want to use.

Use plenty of assembly lube for the cam lobes and lifter face, I like Lucas myself it's really sticky(use gloves).

It is recommended to use 80lb seat pressure or less for break-in, OR low ratio break-in rockers.

If you have a problem during the initial break-in run, it is ok to shut down and fix it then restart n continue break-in.

I like to place a box fan in front of the radiator for extra insurance

Flat tappet is a little more involved than a roller cam GL