Steering wheel/shaft alignment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Steering is even better now, better than my '06 Avalanche. Almost reminds me of my ex's Infiniti G35. Strangely enough, and it may be mostly in my head... but the steering effort seems to be less, about what it was with the factory ratio box. I also haven't noticed any vibration or whatnot through the steering wheel whatsoever, but if you are driving slow enough with the radio off, you can hear the hydraulic noises transferring through the steering shaft.

I used the info at the bottom of this article for guidance: http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/steeringadjustment.html
I ended up using a cutoff wheel to cut the rag joint coupling off just above the shaft, then using a hacksaw to split the remaining pieces off in two places. I used the hacksaw again to cut the flared end off the shaft. Also, you are really going to want to use a drill press to make the indentions for the set screws, don't forget the red locktite as well. Finally, there's a leaf spring that rides in a groove on the inner part of the shaft. If you collapse the shaft too much, it can fall out inside the outer piece.

And yeah, I know my pressure hose isn't routed quite right.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Took truck in for alignment at a really old school shop. Guy told me this thing must've been really driving like . Well yeah, apparently I was just used to it. It's good to go and my steering wheel is straight again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk