Steering wheel/shaft alignment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Hey guys, haven't been on here in a long time but got a quick question before I take my truck in for an alignment. Just put a Redhead quick ratio steering gearbox and new pitman arm on my truck. Bump steer is gone and truck finally feels connected to the road again. Problem is now when driving straight, my steering wheel is at the 2 o'clock position, annoying as hell. The truck needs an alignment regardless, but now I'm wondering if I clocked the steering shaft wrong I put it back on. The input shaft on the gearbox has a flat spot, but after looking at my old box, the flat spot seems so shallow it's possible I may be off a spline. This happen to anyone?

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine has been that way for years, countless front end rebuilds and alignments... I'm hoping after I drop it it will straighten out but with all the play these trucks have ..I doubt it

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I just did a redhead box and all new front end parts and had the same problem til I had it aligned. I assumed the flat spot was a guarantee that you got it in the right spot, but its not, its just a reference mark basically. So the shop took it off and re installed in 1-notch over and now its straight as an arrow.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Almost every redhead box I had was great, but they were also psychos.

Oh... We still talking about a different kind of redhead box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
And yeah, the shaft was actually a spline off. So now I'm back to the 1 o'clock position I've been used to for a while. Hopefully the alignment will take care of that.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Im glad it was an easy fix for you.

And, so far so good on the redhead box but I only have 20 miles on it so far, lol. I got the quick ratio box and it is awsome!

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting a Redhead gear box for awhile... taking vacation right after thanksgiving. .. going to do another complete tear down and rebuild on the front end and that's a good time to do a box aswell.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
All BS aside, I'm really liking my quick ratio box so far. It's very responsive, and yet I don't find it to be twitchy at all while at highway speeds. It is taking some getting used to the increased steering effort though. Wouldn't suggest it on a 4x4 with bigger tires.

Im glad it was an easy fix for you.

And, so far so good on the redhead box but I only have 20 miles on it so far, lol. I got the quick ratio box and it is awsome!

Hey RichLo, are you still running the stock rag joint on your quick ratio? I still have a very little bit of play in the steering due to mine. I can live with it, but I'm thinking about the flaming river u-joint once I have more funds. The Cherokee shaft isn't an option for me since I have a 95.