Steering wheel/shaft alignment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yea, I am still running the stock rag joint. I got the cheap replacement one from the parts store I am going to try first. I have heard that if you use new bolts instead of the rivet replacements that they give with the new rubber disk, you can torque them down more and get a tighter rag joint. Worth a shot for only $15 and I know my stock one is super loose anyway. Thats the last thing before I have completely brand new steering.

but yea, a U-joint is obviously the best choice if the budget allows. maybe next year.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
I hear most people have to use different hardware than what comes with those "universal" discs anyways.

And... I couldn't help myself, the flaming river billet u-joint is on its way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear most people have to use different hardware than what comes with those "universal" discs anyways.

And... I couldn't help myself, the flaming river billet u-joint is on its way.

I tried to find that for my 97 but no luck, is the 95 -97 the same? I looked on there site but gave up. Do you have a link

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I dont think 1993 has that upper joint.

and I've read some things about the jeep shaft sitting too close to the exhaust and coming loose because the upper and lower shafts are glued or epoxied together. So I really dont want to go down that road.

Thanks though, thats good to know the dimensions for the U-joint.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, 95 and up are the same. RockAuto shows the same Dorman replacement lower shaft.

The Flaming River part number I ordered was FR1746DD. 1" Double D input and 3/4" 30-spline output. I bought it from JEGS and had them price match Amazon.

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/products/c0005/s0004/FR1746DD

SWEET!!

Are you going to install it sometime soon, I would love to hear about it after you have time to check it out.... I will do anything to upgrade the steering:evillol:

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
I'll let you know, I'm gonna try to get it installed ASAP next week. I don't want to delay the alignment any longer than I need to, but I also want to have this installed first just so I know my steering wheel won't end up off again.