Steering Stabilizers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Necessary at what point (lift, tire size, how much offroading) and how much do they actually help with steering parts, yada yada?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I don't think there is really a good answer here. I know many people with 4-6" IFS lifts have them, and pretty much all solid axled trucks had them from the factory.... I have one my D44 up front. Never had one when it was IFS.

The are supposed to help dampen the steering a bit. I really couldn't tell you if mine does anything or not.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
:lol: well the concept is that it dampens the movement (small quick ones) just a shock absorber does. What I'm saying is I had the IFS without and the SAS with, but i really couldn't tell you if there is any benefit to either.

Is there something your truck is doing that makes you think you need one? I'd check first that your balljoints, TREs, idler, pitman, rag joint and steering box are all in spec first.

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have never ran one on my truck in the 15 years I have driven a lifted truck. If your front end components are tight, you shouldnt need one. But I have heard they help a little with bump steer.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
I can tell you that they do help. I have 33s and no lift, my 7 year old one was worn out, I replace it with a new one over Christmas and I could really tell a difference. Not only does it dampen the steering, but if you are running large tires on a stock height truck, or with a crank like me, it helps get rid of the wiggle wobble. Same with our Jeep, it's got a 3" lift on it and the steering sucked before adding the dual stabilizers.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have one on my bagged truck they help out alot on these trucks no matter stock lifted or dropped.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
any truck with a parallelogram style steering setup like the gmt400 chassis can benefit from a damper. It's a sloppy arrangement from the get go and when you introduce wear it gets worse.

My stock K2500 has one OEM and it will be replaced if it starts to go.

Obviously, as tire weights start going up and damper can aid in removing load on the assembly. Most notably the steering box and the idler arm...

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
To answer GMC's question, no, nothing wrong that I am aware of I'm just still getting ready to get a lift and saw that RCX "highly" recommended getting one.

So it looks like it wouldn't be a bad idea to throw one in the mix for the heck of it. Thanks guys- I didn't know much about them but it makes a little more sense now.

So the only downside is that depending on where it is on the RCX kit it might be a little guady? hahaha

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
My truck has one, OEM i believe. And my truck was originally stocked with 265/75r16s much like everyone elses. I think everyone should have one. It shouldnt really hurt anything, could it?

Sent from my LG-P506 using Tapatalk 2