Steering difference between 2 1999 Suburbans pretty drastic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might have accidentally loosened the fitting at the pump as the hose-end nut was tightened into the u-shaped thing. Or, at least, I did that once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
I pulled the pump out this weekend to try to fix the leak, no luck. Damn what a pile of work for no results.

I pulled the bypass fitting out and did indeed find a chewed o-ring, not sure what happened there. Either way, I had a replacement o-ring that I put on it, bolted it back up (with great frustration, not easy to do when you're a freaking idiot lol).

Either way, sum total, the bastage still leaks. I discovered that my low pressure line also has a leak, but so does the bypass kit. You can see them both dripping.

So, going to get new lines, except I'm not doing the bypass kit anymore. I'm going to get the old style pressure line, the orifice fitting, and just bolt it straight up. There's no sense whatsoever in having an extra o-ring and fitting there if it's not needed.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
By the way, what is the most sensible way to install the pump? I'm thinking my mistake here was leaving the fluid lines connected to the gearbox down below. I should have removed them, installed the lines onto the pump, and drop the pump in with the lines (esp. the pressure line) already fully tightened. Then put the pressure line on. Right?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’d put the lines on the pump and then drop it in.

I did it both ways...it’s a ***** to get the bottom line to orient correctly, hold it in place with the little bracket wobbling around and get the nut started with the pump in place. That wrenching on it can then rotate the whole line to loosen the fitting at the back of the pump doesn’t help.

In my case, the reman pump had the bypass line already attached. They spray painted the whole thing with glossy black paint which doesn’t help in spotting leaks. It leaked from the start, but the paint held the fluid in for a little while so I didn’t see it. Next time, I’d strip the paint off of the fitting and check the fitting’s torque before installation.

Last edited:

96z71sas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do u need to remove ps pump to install 19168825? The by pass tube that's way over priced thanks.

96z71sas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That plug is that the one under dash or under power steering pump and what's the first part of mod mine won't turn at all at low speeds and I don't like it over boosted thanks

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would remove the pump, but suppose you could try doing it in place first. Once the bypass line is installed, the electrical connector that used to connect to the pump is left disconnected.

You don’t have to do anything to the sensor on the steering column.

ahirlo

Reaction score
I’ve been chasing a power steering leak not the hoses or pump or steering box can these leak?
Thanks