Steering difference between 2 1999 Suburbans pretty drastic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I'd bet all the money in my pocket that your loose steering issue is still the EVO sensor on the column. I've had a ton of them fail. Sometimes they do the intermittent "patch of ice" failure, and sometimes they just go into full boost permanently. The latter sounds like what you're experiencing.

Not sure about having to hold the wheel crooked to go straight, though...
Oooohhhh, so it may be the sensor then. Should I just go ahead and replace it sometime? I know in the thread, you can't just unplug it, so that's out of the picture.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oooohhhh, so it may be the sensor then. Should I just go ahead and replace it sometime? I know in the thread, you can't just unplug it, so that's out of the picture.

You can actually unplug it temporarily as a diagnostic measure. I just wouldn't leave it unplugged for an extended period. If you unplug it and nothing changes, then it's definitely a bad sensor.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
You can actually unplug it temporarily as a diagnostic measure. I just wouldn't leave it unplugged for an extended period. If you unplug it and nothing changes, then it's definitely a bad sensor.
Oh ok, then yeah I will have to unplug it to see if anything changes. Is it easily accessible to unplug? Not sure where it's at.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This might be EVO related.
Sometimes if I'm slowing down after driving at highway speeds for a bit, then start to turn, as if taking a cloverleaf exit ramp, or turning directly off of a highway, the steering will get really stiff just off center. It'll turn but only if you muscle it. Then after I fight it for a moment it'll break loose and be normal again. Feels like it binds up or something. It's not a huge problem but it's somewhat concerning.
Anyone ever heard of that before? I searched and didn't find much.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This might be EVO related.
Sometimes if I'm slowing down after driving at highway speeds for a bit, then start to turn, as if taking a cloverleaf exit ramp, or turning directly off of a highway, the steering will get really stiff just off center. It'll turn but only if you muscle it. Then after I fight it for a moment it'll break loose and be normal again. Feels like it binds up or something. It's not a huge problem but it's somewhat concerning.
Anyone ever heard of that before? I searched and didn't find much.
That does sound like the EVO
But as mentioned you can unplug it to see.. I also do not recommend leaving it unplugged for long. Once figured out...
either swap to old box/pumps/Hoses.
New EVO sensor
Or find a way to bypass it

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Lol, gents, my truck still steers wonderfully, other than needing new ball joints and an alignment. Unfortunately my power steering pump leaks like a sieve. I think I've narrowed it down to a leaky fitting. It's that damned little gooseneck pipe that is the "bypass kit". All it is, is just a U shaped tube that allows your old PS pressure line to bolt up to the pump, since that PS line isn't long enough to reach the pump and bolt in directly like the 1996 style pumps did.

I think either the o-ring in the bypass is shot, or something. Either way, I think what I'm going to do is remove the bypass kit entirely and put on a brand new pressure line from a 1996 truck, which should reach up and bolt to the pump just fine. That way, I have a new line, only ONE connection to bolt up at the pump, and fresh o-rings.

Thoughts? Anyone do this?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
That's what I did with mine.
I just found a pre-EVO line in the wreckers that was dry. Dirty, but dry. No P/S fluid all over it. Crimped connections looked good too.
$5.00.

You must be registered for see images attach

Don't know if that kit has the fitting that goes between the hose & the pump.
I had to go back to the wreckers & get it. The hose end does not bolt directly to the pump if it previously had the EVO.

This...