Steering Column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

961TonDually

Reaction score
I have a 96 C3500 with a 7.4. I added headers and on one tube the steering column is slightly rubbing on the rounded sides of the steering shaft and i can feel this at the steering wheel. I think I can fix this with a little grinding at the point of the rub. What I need to know is the steering shaft solid steel or is it tubing steel. Thanks

961TonDually

Reaction score
Very slight, when the flat side of the column is next to the header is does not touch. The width of the touch is about the size of what a sharpie maker would make. Normally I would dent the header but really don't what to take it off and I was thinking if the shaft was solid steel and the amount I would need to remove would have no effect but if it's not solid I would not, that's why I was asking.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on steering shafts but the ones that I have taken off were hollow. Everything I have worked on was 2 piece with an inner shaft that was designed to collapse into the outer shaft on severe impact. The shaft is a lot thicker metal than a header tube though. It will wear through the header before the shaft IMO.

Hamps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get rid of the rag joint you will be pleased with the upgrade.
Also here is the link for power loss when denting the exhaust. YouTube pulled it for some unknown reason.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

961TonDually

Reaction score
Update - I broke loose the steering column shaft and heated then dimpled the header for clearance. I coated the rubbed area on the shaft with blue marking agent to tell if it ever rubs once I get it back on the road, time will tell.