Steering column/ignition switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drumsdaddy

Reaction score
My ‘88 does not have the backwards rotation for accessories. The first click is steering wheel/tranny unlock only. The next click is accessories then start.

Failure of cylinder locks is lack of lubrication and too many keys on the key ring. Dry graphite the cylinder once a year and seperate the ignition/door key from the rest. If replacing the lock cylinder lubricate lightly inside the column anything that moves then dry graphite the cylinder before install.

Good luck!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My ‘88 does not have the backwards rotation for accessories. The first click is steering wheel/tranny unlock only. The next click is accessories then start.

Failure of cylinder locks is lack of lubrication and too many keys on the key ring. Dry graphite the cylinder once a year and seperate the ignition/door key from the rest. If replacing the lock cylinder lubricate lightly inside the column anything that moves then dry graphite the cylinder before install.

Good luck!
That next click is not accessory.. that's on/run. Ignition coil is powered and everything..

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It may be that they changed it in ‘06. I dont really know. GM changes things like a diaper...
Not sure why you mentioned changing in '06 unless it's because you saw my '06 in my signature. I'm not talking about my '06; I'm talking about GMT400's, including your '88, and OP's '90...

Richard

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
in 03, they changed it from one click back for accessories to one click forward in the GMT800s. The 400s always had a one click back for accessories (radio, windows, wipers) only. On 96+ (maybe 95 as well) autos, there is a bit between Lock and Run where the cluster and transmission are powered up, but that's all. In my manual Sierra, that position is unused.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sometimes you can get em to work again just by getting a new key made.
See if you can find an old school locksmith and drive the truck to him
so you can test it right in the parking lot
Sometimes the column will get so worn it doesnt even need a key anymore.
Ive also seen the doors and columns work with any gm key.
Had an 89 3500 that would open with the ignition key from a 1964 Chevelle and would start with the key from a 1973 olds cutlass