Steering column interchangeability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Those look like the 95 up cloth buckets. One thing I will say about this console: there's a bit of space between it and the seats when installed. Stuff like phones, mail, food, etc. WILL slide down there! We're getting to experience this again since we are Burb-ing again(till I get Rawhide fixed).
They look in good shape though. Might ask if you can get them cheaper......

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Is there a factory console that is wider to avoid that, or this is how they come from the factory?
There are many console choices, but the only GM one that does, is the 88-94 center console. It's more square/rectangular, and wider, and has 2 cupholders instead of just one. But since they're on the oldest 400s, they're not as easy to find...and often pricey when you do.
I've been looking for one for my Burb for a good while; haven't found any trucks that still had one in good enough shape to pay the wrecking yards' price.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I actually don't mind that console style, it's fairly useful - at least it was for my purposes back when I had the '96 C3500 wrecker. I kept my canned Coke in a foam koozie that stuck in the CD-holder insert up front (I notice this one has the somewhat less common actual cupholder insert), and my HP photosmart printer, photo paper, mini stapler, pens, spare rechargeable batteries and charger for my digital camera, etc. amazingly all fit inside the main compartment.

That ad is 11+ weeks old and the price isn't bad for desirable seats and console. It's probably gone, but you may as well try them. I find a lot of people on offerup don't communicate well or keep their ads updated, to the point I hardly ever bother using that site anymore.

One thing to beware of is that console may not be appropriate for your regular cab's floor profile. If it has a pretty extreme angle along the bottom, it'll sit tilted obviously forward with a serious rake in your truck. It can be sliced-and-diced with some care but only if you're up for it. Example on a beat-up one I didn't mind chopping...

Raked profile for extended cab (and possibly SUV's - can't remember what I pulled the console from; been too many years)
You must be registered for see images attach

Bottom rear pieces sliced off (you can see the scraps on the worktable) for a flatter profile. I used the pull-out drawer in the back as a guide and cut just below it to retain plastic at the bottom rear so the halves could still be tied together.

If I recall I had to drill out the rivets in the rear mount bracket, drill 2 new holes in the plastic structure, and pop-rivet the bracket back in. Very simple actually.

Mocked up in my '94 3500HD wrecker (full '95-up interior swap and '96 Vortec 7.4 swap job), sitting nice and fairly flat on the floor. At this point still needing a solid cleaning and refinishing with SEM medium gray...

Richard