Key stuck in ignition barrel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a '93 Suburban, and the ignition key recently got stuck in the ignition barrel. The key will turn to the start position, however, it is stuck in the "run" position and will not turn to the "off" position, meaning, I cannot remove my key from the barrel. I would like to know how to remove the key, damaging as little as possible.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Tumbler likely worn out. On 1994 and older ("old" interior and column) you can replace it pretty easily. You'll need to borrow/rent a steering wheel puller tool, and lock ring depressor tool. Pull the wheel, depress lock ring, pick to get the clip, release lock ring (careful; it's got a spring behind it), 1 screw on the turn signal lever, couple or 3 screws on the turn signal cancelling cam, move that aside, there's a little slip-in set of contacts for the "key in ignition" warning chime, then a torx screw and you can pull the tumbler.

Sounds like a lot but it's not. There's probably plenty of videos on youtube about it that you might watch first as I just did that from memory off the top of my head and it's been several years since I've done one.

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Tumbler likely worn out. On 1994 and older ("old" interior and column) you can replace it pretty easily. You'll need to borrow/rent a steering wheel puller tool, and lock ring depressor tool. Pull the wheel, depress lock ring, pick to get the clip, release lock ring (careful; it's got a spring behind it), 1 screw on the turn signal lever, couple or 3 screws on the turn signal cancelling cam, move that aside, there's a little slip-in set of contacts for the "key in ignition" warning chime, then a torx screw and you can pull the tumbler.

Sounds like a lot but it's not. There's probably plenty of videos on youtube about it that you might watch first as I just did that from memory off the top of my head and it's been several years since I've done one.

Richard
There are videos and as long as you have the correct tools to get in there, it is easy. Do not forget, that you now have a new ignition key and make sure you hide the extra one on the frame or your favorite hiding place.

Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Reaction score

Richard
alr, thanks

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
alr, thanks
It's a perfect opportunity to tighten up the tilt knuckle if yours is loose. Best to do it while you're already in there before it gets worse. Plenty of videos on youtube for that as well and you're most of the way there if you're in there doing the tumbler. If your tilt isn't really loose, you could honestly cheat a little and just tighten the bolts you can reach without further major disassembly. I will confess to having done this, as getting all the way in there to fully tighten everything is a bigger job to be sure.

Richard

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a perfect opportunity to tighten up the tilt knuckle if yours is loose. Best to do it while you're already in there before it gets worse. Plenty of videos on youtube for that as well and you're most of the way there if you're in there doing the tumbler. If your tilt isn't really loose, you could honestly cheat a little and just tighten the bolts you can reach without further major disassembly. I will confess to having done this, as getting all the way in there to fully tighten everything is a bigger job to be sure.

Richard
Long Torx gets right in there with wheel still on, at least on mine with no airbag.