ingition key stuck in!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1madmouse

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here it can be anything they want, guess it depends on the flavor of the day. Parents aren't like the old school. Think any of our parents would put up with the new crap? Andrea Bocelli is a great Opera singer. Sorry if I crossed any lines

SuperSpore

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys
In my 95 Tahoe the key remain in ingnition in acc position in P and i cannot remove it.
Why this happens?
What a practical solution, because this problem drain the battery!
Cheer
Andrea

Hi Andrea... if your key is stuck in acc and wont return, as someone else has said, your ignition switch failed.
The work around to save your battery until you replace the switch, is to pull the fuse for your ignition from the fuse box below the dash, then disconnect the battery.
On early 90's trucks the fuse box is to the left of the column below dash, and the fuse is on the left column the last one I believe.
Your model truck may vary but it should be marked. Hope you got it solved. Good luck.

Giamba76

Reaction score
Ok...my mistake...i work on shift cable and now the key in free, but i loose the first and second gear position.
Practically the shifter wasn't able to get in P really...i need to change or adjust the cable so i will do:cool:

SuperSpore

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok...my mistake...i work on shift cable and now the key in free, but i loose the first and second gear position.
Practically the shifter wasn't able to get in P really...i need to change or adjust the cable so i will do:cool:
Ouch, that's some work.
To replace the ignition switch you need to remove the steering wheel and two plates underneath the steering wheel. Under that there's the plastic mechanism that has 3 bolts. Then there is a size 20 t-bit screw that releases the ignition barrel - the new one drops right in.
You need 2 special tools.
1. a steering wheel puller for american vehicles
2. pressure plate compressor tool
You can get them together from amazon for about 30 dollars in one tool kit with different sizes. Chinese made, but they work well.
Also you'll need t-bit screw drivers that are size 10 and size 20 t-bit heads, but you get these at most any store.

It's not hard if you have the tools. Maybe a bit over an hour.
Youtube has a few videos that will help if you need them.

Edit: get the t-bit screw drivers with the thinnest shaft you can find, theres one t-bit screw that is hard to get to. The adjustable screw drivers with changeable size t-bit heads will not work. you need the conventional screw driver type with a thin shaft that does not adjust.

Canadian Rust Bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ouch, that's some work.
To replace the ignition switch
I might be misinterpreting things but is it possible the ignition switch does not need to be replaced?
If the shift cable was messed up and not letting the column shifter fully move into the Park position, it makes sense the key wouldn't come out. It's not supposed to!
It could be as simple as running a new shift cable.