Steering box upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have to replace my gear box on the 98. Will the ss box be a direct replacement? Will it be a upgrade for a 98?
galaxy s3

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You can do a factory replacement, or use a 454SS box, which is a quick ratio box. Takes out about 3/4's of a turn. Some may say that this has the possibility of being too twitchy. I have one in my '98, & I don't find that to be so. Makes the truck drive more a sports car, less as a truck. But...it's still a truck! Lol! I like it so much that I will eventually put one in my '97.
The one in my '98 is not an actual SS box. I had it built for me by a steering box rebuilder. Those guys can build one with any ratio that you'd like. Slightly more $$$ than a standard rebuilt box.

nortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So it will bolt on? DO YOU HAVE A LINK

galaxy s3

nortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry I was askinv about the ss box.

galaxy s3

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Unless you can get a used box off of an actual 454SS, about the only way to get one is to have a rebuilder make one up for you. I'd be a little suspicious of used boxes anyhow.
There are several rebuilders that ship around the continent.
'AGR' s/b's can be purchased through 'JEG'S. http://www.jegs.com/p/AGR/AGR-Street-Power-Steering-Box/761792/10002/-1
AGR also has a power steering pump that's an upgrade from stock, & is compatible with stock boxes But recommended for their box. This combo will give you a more positive sense of road feel. More connected, as opposed to the wishy-washy disconnected feel of the stock ones.

Lee Steering Gears. http://www.lee-powersteering.com/steering-gears.htm
Heard good stuff about these guys.

I also know of some guys using Jeep Grand Cherokee boxes. They are a Saginaw box, the same as the stock G.M.'s. A quicker ratio and they do require a bit more effort to steer. But not as much as the AGR/Lee boxes.

nortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was looking at the sport box. The 2 1/2 turn on rock auto.

galaxy s3

nortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The part I'm curious about is the ac delco
360517551 from the 90 sport chassis
galaxy s3

nortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I have to ill buy both and try the sport box first

galaxy s3