Starter won’t turn flywheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I don't know if I would say you need a new flex plate but you definitly need a new starter for sure! the starter is what ****** the flex plate. I dont know exactly how much the starter engages with the teeth on the flex plate normally, maybe your starter needs shimmer? iv never had to do that personally, they always lined up perfectly.

the teeth on my old 94 were eventually sheared completely off. what a dumbass I was looking back I could have easily fixed it but i sold it instead and bought my 97. flex plate is motor side, you would need to split the tranny and slide it back. I dont think you need to completely remove it. never done it but I have replaced 2 trannys, much easier on a 2wd... it's just a few more bolts on a 4x4... haha

Al

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
do we have gear reduction starters on our trucks? ya I know modern starter dont work the same... i forget exactly what vehicle I learned that on but it wasnt one of my trucks and none of my lawnmowers or any of the tractors Iv worked on... maybe the POS sebring?

anyways it's not really the starter but the solenoid that needs the slight tap to break it free. hammering on a starter dosent usually get ya anywhere.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Every Vortec I've ever seen has the gear reduction unit from OE. That's 96 and up.
Your ole '94 may be different. My '88, and my '89 had the giant starter, along with the giant catalytic converters from OE.

Though not anymore...

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
hmm no idea what's what, they are not giant ones that's for sure but are slightly different from my 98 sierra and my 97 burb. I cant remember my 94 but its starter always worked, the flex plate just didnt.

both of my current trucks have brand new starters on them, well maybe a couple years old now. had to smack the 97 burbs for about 6 weeks before we could replace it. my wife even did so in a mini skirt, in the rain on Halloween. lmao. I changed the solenoid for a cheap fix but 4 months later the starter welded itself in operable. if the starter for some reason dosent spin when you believe it should, touch it, if it's hot as hell, shes done.

Al

Last edited: