Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
seems you can break a ball-bearing in a sandbox with a rubber mallet..........i think i'd procure quality 1/4", 3/8"AND a 1/2" torque wrenches if i did that ****.....LMFAO. glad you didn't do my back surgery.

:lol: Torque wrench, what's that? I always just tighten until it spins and then back it off a quarter turn!

Seriously though, I do have a set. Maybe I should use them once in a while.

That Matrix LED system from Hella looks really cool... If the tech actually works like they're describing, that could be a serious step forward for modern lighting solutions.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
:lol: Torque wrench, what's that? I always just tighten until it spins and then back it off a quarter turn!

Seriously though, I do have a set. Maybe I should use them once in a while.

That Matrix LED system from Hella looks really cool... If the tech actually works like they're describing, that could be a serious step forward for modern lighting solutions.

and then someone would retro fit an e-bay HID setup into it........................................................:popcorn:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Hella video reminded me of something neat I noticed while driving my buddy's 2017 Denali XL. It has an option on the switch for fully automated lights. Not the standard auto turn-on stuff, but like actual automatic operation of low and high beams. It will sense when no one else is on the road and kick your highs on, and automatically kick them off when it sees headlights or tail lights. It works amazingly well. I'd assume it works off of a similar camera system.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
The Hella video reminded me of something neat I noticed while driving my buddy's 2017 Denali XL. It has an option on the switch for fully automated lights. Not the standard auto turn-on stuff, but like actual automatic operation of low and high beams. It will sense when no one else is on the road and kick your highs on, and automatically kick them off when it sees headlights or tail lights. It works amazingly well. I'd assume it works off of a similar camera system.

i like the "self leveling" headlight tech, for when you're wearing a trailer or loaded heavy......you're usually just looking for UFO's and blind the **** out of EVERYONE on the road.....i believe that's something most folks don't think about much. if i'm towing long distance and will see night, i adjust my lights down and simply count the turns to put it back when i'm done........and i like to gobble miles at night.

i've seen too much death and destruction during those 13 years i was in the towing business.....i don't even like looking in the "towing" forum much because of what i see some people try to do.......it's phuckin scary.

in my advancing years.....and the fact that i've survived MY life, i think it's pretty easy to modify things in a safe and responsible manner.......i really have no patience for stupid anymore.

there's some mighty smart people on this forum.....and all that information is available if one would just search for it.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I am liking what I see of the round Hella 90 mm fully sealed, but searching for some beam shots. Not to mention, quad projectors.... $$.

Would seriously have a 2001 a space odyssey vibe going on.

HAL 9000: Dave... I want to play a game with you...

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
take this one....it's a flush mount assembly.....and it's going to go in a stock 88-89 quad light unit.

You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.rallylights.com/hella-60mm-projector-headlamp-module.html
http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/products/auxiliary-lamps/modules/60mm-module-low-beam/

make a mounting plate the size that could be captured by the outer ring....it would actually be same size OD as 150mm X 92mm sealed beam. you have to build it up to make up the difference in thickness...i'd use some 1/8" aluminium flat stock to start. bore a hole in it, drill 4 little holes and bolt it together..........the lamp behind the plate.

and put the bolted together setup right in the head lamp bucket......space the projector unit in the plate back according to depth and or aesthetics.......you can use the stock adjuster screws to get the thing set correctly.

i was inspired by this gents craftsmanship:

that's here:
http://www.gmt400.com/threads/lets-talk-headlights.6688/page-20

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Virgil at the CP forums advises against that, citing internal reflectivity on the lens... and other factors resulting in a non-compliant beam.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
i don't know if i articulated what's in my mind's eye correctly.......but i can see it working. the depth of the thing is quite short. if ya put in the highs too the truck would look like a new fangled squinty R2D2 '70 GMC............