Light sludge in intake valley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94chevc1500

Reaction score
My bad I meant diesel fuel. Okay I'll look into a bypass filter setup. So from what I am understanding the bypass filter will catch more of the sludge without plugging up the oil system?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll try diesel oil for 20 miles and see what happens.
My bad I meant diesel fuel.
You weren't thinking of driving 20 miles with an oil pan full of diesel fuel...were you? If so, be sure your cell-phone has a full charge. You'll likely be calling the tow-truck part-way through that drive. When you get home, you'll be researching crate engines, vs. the cost of a D-I-Y overhaul.

I think this stems from a lack of understanding of what an "Italian tune-up" is. You break-off the rear view mirror, because what's behind you is not important.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Then drive the vehicle with your foot to the floor like you were on a race-track. Having beaten the vehicle for 20 miles (or more), you've gotten the engine so warm that carbon deposits have burned away, oil is hot enough to boil-out moisture and perhaps liquify any deposits, the spark-plugs are cleaned of low-speed fouling deposits...the engine should run better.

Has NOTHING to do with driving around with diesel fuel instead of oil.

Okay I'll look into a bypass filter setup. So from what I am understanding the bypass filter will catch more of the sludge without plugging up the oil system?
A bypass filter does an AMAZING job of keeping oil clean. That means the detergents and dispersants in the oil can go to work on the remaining bits of sludge after you've cleaned most of it out with the diesel-fuel flush. Mostly, the bypass filter prevents sludge build-up in the first place.

Last edited:

94chevc1500

Reaction score
Okay so I read your posts a bit more and you also said changing the oil more often would help. Maybe a couple times at 2k miles? I am on board with the bypass filter for sure my problem is I have headers and dual exhaust. Also I had seen people mount them under hood or on the chassis. I would rather do a chassis mount so I have shorter hoses. Any pics would be great for any ideas on where to mount it.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

'88 K1500. Frantz filter mounted to inner fender, ahead of washer bottle, near evap. canister.

Supply hose routed to oil port beside distributor. Tee in port, oil pressure switch mounted to top of tee, side of tee connects to supply hose.

Return hose goes to Caprice oil pan, identical to regular oil pan except for added boss to install oil level sensor. No oil level sensor installed, so I added fitting for oil return hose. Oil could also be returned via a fitting screwed-into a drilled 'n' tapped oil fill cap, or the valve cover directly; or by drilling and tapping the intake manifold for a fitting.

If you mount the bypass filter "low" on a frame rail or some such, make sure it's not in a position to get whanged by roadway debris.