Pulled intake manifold to change gaskets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I see no problem if he reuses the same lifters. If you take the existing lifters out, you always put them back in the same hole, always. If I am going to have new lifters, I want a new cam. They get a wear on them for the cam and lifter. I do not want to mix. It is only my opinion.

11bravo

Reaction score
With 17 owners, you are best off just assuming ZERO maintenance has been performed. Change all fluids, filters, plugs and wires, at least. Take a close look at your belts, brakes, shocks, and all bushings. You may have already done this....

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can get a kit bag from GM with a new set of intake upper bolts. Unless you have problems , taking anything out or apart my way cause a future problem. Use quality oil and filters.
You must be registered for see images attach

Grube

Reaction score
a lot of good ideas posted by several people. Will be doing most, if not all, of the suggestions. First I need to get some motivation.. I spent the day procrastinating at the river in the sun haha. Ah well, there is always tomorrow!

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
honestly if that were mine, I would bolt it back together as-is and plan a budget for a full rebuild of that one or a crate motor.

It's been like that for quite some time, so there is no sense stirring up the sludge or swapping out only the cam.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
lemme see if I got all this right ---- current owner has only a few recent months history.
1997 5.7L Vortec, 27 years, 196700 miles, 17 owners, heavy HEAVY sludge and/or coking in valley.

Believe you me, with all that, the COOLANT jackets in both block And heads are Also HEAVILY fouled with scale + sediment + rusty muck. Filthy jackets Cannot efficiently transfer heat from motor to the coolant; too much of that heat is transferring to the Oil. A simple flush with water or wimpy liquid flushes on today's parts store shelves ain't gonna cut that crud; literally. You need a Strong Chemical CLEANING --- Google Oxalic Acid (DAP wood bleach). Job REQUIRES R&R block's drain plugs on Both sides. Reference GM TSB# 99-06-02-012D as good guidance.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
lemme see if I got all this right ---- current owner has only a few recent months history.
1997 5.7L Vortec, 27 years, 196700 miles, 17 owners, heavy HEAVY sludge and/or coking in valley.

Believe you me, with all that, the COOLANT jackets in both block And heads are Also HEAVILY fouled with scale + sediment + rusty muck. Filthy jackets Cannot efficiently transfer heat from motor to the coolant; too much of that heat is transferring to the Oil. A simple flush with water or wimpy liquid flushes on today's parts store shelves ain't gonna cut that crud; literally. You need a Strong Chemical CLEANING --- Google Oxalic Acid (DAP wood bleach). Job REQUIRES R&R block's drain plugs on Both sides. Reference GM TSB# 99-06-02-012D as good guidance.
I completely agree with what you said about the cooling system. I have worked on a 1991 K2500 with a 5.7, for the wife of an American Legion friend of mine, that recently passed. It is her truck. The pics I am about to post speak for themselves. I have only once changed the oil on it and it was very black and had small chunks in it. I have warned her and she said she would have the cooling system flushed out. I told her it would do no good.