Let's talk headlights...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Stock refractor housings are a bit different than some diamond clear reflector housings. The front lens helps to disperse the light so that it's not so focused and glaring, so the lack of a glare cap isn't as big of a deal. But if you have some clear reflector housings with no glare caps and have HIDs in them, you're going to be blinding other drivers no matter how you aim them.

Yeah, man, the NNBS housings are clear with glare caps, and blind the **** out of me with HIDs. My housings are the refracted one, so they spread it nice and smooth. (lol)

Here (obviously without HIDs):
You must be registered for see images attach

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, man, the NNBS housings are clear with glare caps, and blind the **** out of me with HIDs...

Specifically, '03-'07 Silverados. I've seen several of them with HIDs and they are killer. I've seen plenty of GMT-800 Sierras and SUVs and '99-'02 Silverados with the refractor housings and HIDs and none of them have bothered me.

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm. Guess Ì`ll pass on the anzos unless i can talk him down to a real good price.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Specifically, '03-'07 Silverados. I've seen several of them with HIDs and they are killer. I've seen plenty of GMT-800 Sierras and SUVs and '99-'02 Silverados with the refractor housings and HIDs and none of them have bothered me.

Oh and the Denali's come stock with projectors, so i suppose if they are decent, you could swap the crappy OEM ones for OEM projectors, AND the projector lens is refracted, i wonder how those are with HIDs?

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Random pics of my stockers with HIDs.

My iPod camera makes them look like they have a crapton of glare, they really don't.

Close-up.

My sweet aiming skillz.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^Can't wait to see how that'll look!

Well, I decided I didnt like the lights so close together. Mitsubishi made two different projector assemblies. One is made of a one piece cast aluminum and cant be separated. The other is a metal bracket with separate projector assemblies. So, I got a hold of the latter. And, after about 6 different versions, I think Ive come up with a workable setup.

Here is the mock-up I did yesterday.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
that is going to look killer!!

sent from the c1500 Denali

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
The seperate ones are off a 3000gt, right? Got any pics of the light output of those?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Mine are Acura TSX projector housings retrofitted in to a set of aftermarket housings.

Projectors:

As you can see, my lenses are the more desirable and harder to find clear lenses instead of the Fresnel lenses.

Housings:

35W 4300K D2S capsules.

Running some cheapy slim ballasts until I can gather the coin for some good OEM ones.

Housings as delivered are crap. "Sonnar" or "Sollar", something like that. Absolute garbage, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who was going to use them "as is".

Adjusters are garbage: swapped in the GM OEM ones.

Rad support mount garbage: swapped to OEM ones.

The mounting bolts that join the housings to the base are garbage, moves around too much: modified with JB weld

Chin-Chin projectors are absolute garbage : but they were removed for the Acura units anyways

There were many other things about them that was garbage, but I went in knowing they were cheap and all I wanted was something with clear lenses to hold the Acura projectors. All they really do is keep the weather out, nothing more. The TSX projectors do the real work.

Rad support on the truck requires cutting for clearance.

But:

With the right modifications and the proper HID projectors installed, these light burn down the road. The cut off is razor sharp, the beam is mega wide. I always end up in the front of the "convoy" as my lights "see" the furthest and pick up the moose and shiny eyes hundreds of yards into the trees on the sides of the road.

High beams are not even required so I simply popped in a cheapo "plug n play" HID capsule in the housings to add a little fill above the low beam cut-offs to light up highway signs down the road far enough away to be above the cut off. I may source another set of Acura projectors and remove the cut off shield for high beam lighting.

I use Acura TSX projectors because they are relatively small compared to most and they fit in to the minimal space in the GMT400 headlight/rad area with the least cutting. Motorized housings (IE: motorized cut off shield) would be nice, but they are too long to fit int he space in front of the dual batteries.

I've toyed with building a set with different housings as the black isn't working for me quite as well as I thought it would. The black were bought as it would be an easy install to cover up the modifications behind them to fit the TSX projectors. Just not liking the look much.

"Halo's" belong on beemers, not trucks, especially not these trucks. No offense intended if you like them, I just don't.

Probably go with a plain chrome housing if I try again and build up some nice stainless rings/covers to cover up the TSX "mechanicals".

I won't get into what's wrong with every other type of HID installation that doesn't use proper projectors, no one listens/wants to listen, so no sense wasting time on it.

I went with the 4 Hi modification so there is no loss of light during power up from low to HI. But mine is done differently than most. I don't use the OEM wiring at all. There is a dedicated trigger wire run from the headlight switch to the high power relay under the hood. This does battery power directly to the lows though 12 Gauge wiring. This means they don't go off when you hit high beams.

High beams are triggered off the OEM wiring under hood, but this activates a relay that feeds battery power to the high though 12 G wiring.

Both are very short runs from the battery, all laid in a "custom relay center" I have built under the hood:

Pardon the mess the engine bay is in that pic.

There's a few more relays in there now and the reel light has moved elsewhere to make way for an on board battery charger, but that's pretty close to the way it sits.

No picture of the TSX light pattern/output, but here an identical set in a gents beemer retrofit:

That picture right there is why TSX projectors get installed in everything from lexus's to beemers and even end up replacing some OEM projector lights. Their output, cutoff and sheer width of the beam is near impossible to beat.

It's why i paid a little bit extra to get the housings I wanted.

:)

Last edited:

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, Ive loved projectors ever since the PIAA fogs came out. We sold them at the shop I worked at and we used to have a battery we'd hook up to show customers how focused and bright they were. And the cut-off line sold it every time! When projector headlights came out on OEM I thought it was really cool, and then they started making them aftermarket for our trucks! But Ive been really disappointed with the quality of aftermarket projectors-fuzzy line, scattered light, just not good quality. And everyone Ive talked to says the same-just not up to OEM standards. So when I found out that the Mitsubishi 3000gt and the Dodge Stealth used projectors for both high and low beam I had to give them a shot. The light pattern is awesome, the cut-off line looks like it was drawn with a Sharpie, and they use the exact same bulbs as our trucks so they are plug and play. In fact, they work so well with stock bulbs that I dont plan on going to HIDs. Although I did see some new LED 9005/6 bulbs Id like to try...