Let's talk headlights...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
Interesting, I looked for some output pics of the 3000gt, but I wasn't very impressed. I want to retrofit some morimoto projectors off ebay into my low beams some day.

Right now I am working on sticking 4 audi a6 (mid-1990s) h3 fog light projectors into my parking lights. The cutoff on them is flat as a board. The low beam projectors on these cars are garbage though...

Mid-90s lexus es300 sometimes came with yellow projector fogs that have a decent output for a fog light. They are cheap ($30) and easy to find here. I have a set that I want to mount in the valance.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heres the lights Im using;

You must be registered for see images attach

This the bracket that holds them. This is what I had to reproduce-with the proper spacing-to make them work.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Well, I got bored and have been long tired of not being able to see with the factory sealed beams in my 96 work truck, so I got a cheap pair of ebay clear lens, blackout reflector, projector headlights.

tailpipe51

Suburbanholic
Reaction score
Well, I got bored and have been long tired of not being able to see with the factory sealed beams in my 96 work truck, so I got a cheap pair of ebay clear lens, blackout reflector, projector headlights.

lemme know how that works and how you did it cause i might do that to my burbans sealed beams

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't mention that I bought them to tear apart and convert to actual projection(versus the fake projector lens that comes in them).

Gotta redo/rebuild vac mold setup.....motor locked up so had to heat the lexan and form it by hand(ouch!)

Looking at investing in an actual machine(versus our homemade setup), as that's the most tedious part to manufacture.

It works wonderfully, at 10ft distance we measured about a 20ft wide beam. At 20ft distance we measured about a 50ft wide beam. At 30ft distance we measured about a 90ft wide beam. The Valeo lenses really work wonders, nice wide beams that reach out a pretty good distance, even on low beam. Nice sharp cutoff line with the step-down for oncoming traffic, so you can adjust them higher for more distance without blinding oncoming traffic.

I would suggest not going in this half-heartedly, it's definitely a bit of a pain in the ass.....hence why I haven't started the other side yet, lol. We do projector conversions for people, but we do not do recessed projectors, we do open-lens type, where the lens pokes out the front, as this increases light output and width. The recessed types almost always require some sort of modding on the vehicle itself and we don't wanna run the risk of the headlights getting damaged if the area behind them was not clearanced enough by the customer(or installer) for install. The recessed types are also more prone to driveway light blocking, which is a negative effect, as you want more width in order to more clearly see the sides of the road especially when turning. Also, I left the external shroud clear(was gonna paint, decided not to)so as to promote "sign lighting", which are weak beams of light at the far edges of each side of the light beam, they're located right above the cutoff line. They're not bright enough to blind anyone, just enough light to make signs reflect for easier reading.

justin93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baron "mean green" is who makes the 4hi kit, also i plugged my high beam hids into my lowbeams while installing my 4hi kit and they didnt turn on so unless theres something i dont know about that i dont know that running highs will work in your low beams

Body shop broke my corner lenses. I'm trying to find something more 'fitting' then the clear lensed - black housings corner lights as they LED'S stick out like a sore thumb. I like the blacked out look for the bumper lights and would like to do the corner lenses but can't find any for the life of me!

Anyone have any suggestions? I can't find completely blacked out corner lenses like "96K1500"s signature i think that would be optimal for what i currently have going on. Do you have any links of where you bought those Danny?

Also i got these projectors about 2 years ago, and my Halo LED rim on my driver side has been flickering since install and the manufacturer - so i can vouch for Aftermarket projector lights being somewhat lower quality. The light production is phenomenal.. then my low beam (white's) stopped working and everytime i switch from my High beam (6000k hyper white bulbs) to my low beam my dash lights shut off and it makes an electrical short sound through the dash cluster.

thus, leading me to agree that the retrofit lights may be the best sure way to get the projector lights to function how you want, of course everything comes with a cost and to everyone has there own.. just wanted to add my input so somebody else doesn't end up in my situation!

Sorry for the small pictures, hopefully they'll be clear enough. And I do have both tow mirrors on :p it was just a before and after picture i had on my desktop.

Here's a video of the issue im having with my aftermarket projector lights
http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/justinhinzo/media/Video7_zpse07718a9.mp4.html

Last edited:

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those are the same lights I have. I love em.

Sent from my iPhone

98WhiteZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How are they overall? as the reviews for them on amazon are terrible.

everyone seems to say the adjusters breaks anytime you try to use them.