Splash Guards: Do or Don’t?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Weathertech makes "stick-on" splash guards, might be worth checking into. I've also seen some mudflaps where you slip on a bracket to the fender lip, then screw the mudflap down onto that, essentially making it a "no-drill" application.

I prefer mudflaps on my trucks. Helps reduce rooster tails when driving in slushy snow, and helps reduce the chances of rocks getting thrown onto another person's vehicle. And I like the looks of them, especially the ones that have the stainless weight at the bottom.

Or, buy a beater truck for the winter and store your nice truck until spring. :p

C2500Ryan

Reaction score
I dont really remember what they came with from the factory in the rear.
Ill check out mine when it stops raining up here.
Unfortunetly, that probably going to be in mid June!
The biggest thing is to pressure wash all of the nooks and crannies to keep **** from accumulating but in winter salt country that might not be possible.
My back east family swears by some **** called "fluid film" but we domt do that out here cuz we dont salt the roads.
And we dont salt the roads because, and Im not making this up...
The salt might run off of the roads and get into the water.
The ocean water.
The ocean salt water..
Yep, Seattle..

Thanks for the help! It is much appreciated. I don't know too much ocean about water in the pacific northwest and the logic of Seattle, but that seems like a whole new can of worms.

I live in Ohio so salt is my main enemy. What I have done the past couple years is very similar to your family out East. I spray down the frame with fluid film in November and then give it a thorough power wash late Feb/early March depending on if we are expecting any late snow showers.

C2500Ryan

Reaction score
Weathertech makes "stick-on" splash guards, might be worth checking into. I've also seen some mudflaps where you slip on a bracket to the fender lip, then screw the mudflap down onto that, essentially making it a "no-drill" application.

I prefer mudflaps on my trucks. Helps reduce rooster tails when driving in slushy snow, and helps reduce the chances of rocks getting thrown onto another person's vehicle. And I like the looks of them, especially the ones that have the stainless weight at the bottom.

Or, buy a beater truck for the winter and store your nice truck until spring. :p

Honestly the dream is to have a winter truck! Hopefully construction mgmt will pay off in a couple years and I can throw around some money for a beater!

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last summer we towed our travel trailer a couple of times to eastern Washington where it was over 100 degrees for a few days (we live in Western WA where its usually cool and raining, yuck). The even though the new 383 wasn't overheating I popped the hood when we stopped in a park for a sandwich and it was extremely hot under the hood. This was the trip where I cracked an exhaust manifold for the 3rd time probably due to running at 3700 rpm in 2nd up mountain grades and the excessive heat. I'd had it with cast iron manifolds and ordered some JBA shorty headers. Because headers supposedly run hotter than manifolds, I studied the engine compartment and realized with splash guards and the front 4 wheel drive splash shield under the radiator that there was no way for cool air to get into the compartment. So I removed the inner fender splash guards and saw that the ram air would wash right over the headers. Also took off the front shield so air could get in from the front. On the second trip it was even hotter on a couple of days. Knowing it was going to be hot, I also installed a bigger trans cooler and added a trans temp guage. Was a much better trip, the headers gave me more power and the engine compartment stayed much cooler with the splash guards removed. The trans never got over 195 except for Stevens pass (205). On the hottest day the trans temp ran at about 170 all day. When we got home I replaced all splash guards as I knew the rain would return, which it has.