Spindle Thread Restoral, What Size Threads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a 97 C1500 in my garage with a pretty new rotor that's trashed. The threads are a little boogered up and I'm not getting them 100% here with the thread file. It's a 1.25mm pitch and the threads are just over 19mm in diameter. Would this be a 19x1.25 or 20x1.25 die? Any other tips or tricks on getting the threads 100%? Whoever did this the last time didn't get the bearing preload correct because you can't feel anything with the threads as they are. Could I get another nut and cut grooves in it to clean these threads?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's 20x1.25 and this thing is getting a spindle. The washer ate this thing up pretty good.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'd love to talk him into some drop spindles but he's old so he probably won't go for it.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you've done it once most likely you'll do it again. Get a tap and die cleaning type kit. More like cleaning straighten, than aggressive cutting dies. That's what I and the shop use, with that if damage is unacceptable then replacement.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kinda thinking, this is not when you take a shortcut with something that holds the wheel on the car and brakes together. After you run a die or thread file over it, there's less thread depth engagement.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I am gonna have O'Reilly's mic this and tell me whether or not they can turn just the inside.

It was basically brand new before this. They either can or they can't. I don't have anything with the right jaws to reach in to the damaged area and measure thickness.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
X3 on getting a new spindle. There is no way that should be reused. I couldn't imagine what the lawyers would do to you if something happened after it left your shop.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's 20x1.25 and this thing is getting a spindle. The washer ate this thing up pretty good.

I'd love to talk him into some drop spindles but he's old so he probably won't go for it.

When the new spindle comes in be sure to take a side-by-side photo of damaged vs new. With that
picture plus you telling him that this is what keeps that wheel in the home position under
his truck then the customer will better appreciate your attention to detail/life-saving skills. :0)

Good call!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I already have pics of all the damage on the old stuff and have already won over his trust with previous maintenance but I do love to drive the point home at every opportunity. It'll go in my scrap bin, but not before he's afforded the opportunity to put eyes on it himself. I'm betting he already regrets letting the Nissan dealer (where he works as a parts runner) do round 1 for him.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New steering knuckle required. Good time to verify the ball joints and outer tie rod ends.

Rotor looks salvageable, (hard to know until properly measured) although the ABS tone ring appears damaged, and you'll need a grease seal and bearing inspection/repack.

No disc brake rotor splash-shield? Kinda surprised.

How does this damage happen? Someone at Nissan decided to add preload to the bearings as if they were a sealed assembly?