2wd Spindle v Body Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 96 C1500 with a 2in coil spring lift that I want to lift a little higher. I am considering either 4in spindles (rough country or eBay special if there are any good ones) or rough country's 3in body lift.

2 main things that will factor into my choice:
-Center of gravity
-Ease of working on engine/trans

Basically, I am wondering
a) are there any good eBay spindles?
b) will chance of rollover be that much worse with the spindles? (higher center of gravity because entire truck gets lifted and not just body, but then again the wheels get stanced out more, so it might negate that?)
c) if I go body lift, will the "recessed" engine make working on it a pain in the ass?

Id be interested to hear opinions/experience. Thanks!

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 96 C1500 with a 2in coil spring lift that I want to lift a little higher. I am considering either 4in spindles (rough country or eBay special if there are any good ones) or rough country's 3in body lift.

2 main things that will factor into my choice:
-Center of gravity
-Ease of working on engine/trans

Basically, I am wondering
a) are there any good eBay spindles?
b) will chance of rollover be that much worse with the spindles? (higher center of gravity because entire truck gets lifted and not just body, but then again the wheels get stanced out more, so it might negate that?)
c) if I go body lift, will the "recessed" engine make working on it a pain in the ass?

Id be interested to hear opinions/experience. Thanks!
My opinion Stay with RC if you’re gonna go 2wd lift. Their 4” spindles is all you need to be where you wanna be . I just did 6” total with 4” spindles and 2” coils .. In and out 2 hours .. but I’ve done it 4 times . Providing your not working on a rusty truck .. RC is one of the few that like to specialize in 2wd lifts which is usually frowned upon lmfao .. but we do what we like !! I’m all about it.

Last edited:

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How's the center of gravity with 6 inches of lift? Do you need to be a lot more careful when turning compared to stock? Also would i need extended brake lines with 2in coils + 4in spindles?

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How's the center of gravity with 6 inches of lift? Do you need to be a lot more careful when turning compared to stock? Also would i need extended brake lines with 2in coils + 4in spindles?
Your biggest investment with a 2wd lift or any is the wheels tires / everything has to be proportional. You won’t wanna run 235/75/15s for example with a lift it’s just weird looking .. so you can expect a wider taller tire and or wheel to fill the void. Which gives you a nicer ride better look and more control. I think the center of gravity is fine. Just make sure you triple check all your nuts bolts measurements etc.. on final install.
Invest in a steering stabilizer kit for 50$ it helps and make sure ball joints are a1 !
I run my suburban very rugged on the dirt roads .. 75-80 on the highway
The rc spindles are very rugged built with No issues for seen with them , and that’s a way easier install than a body lift , body lift should be considered second if need be not first .

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For ((example)) If you was 6” lifting an 80s bronco 2 then I would worry about center of gravity. That really only would apply to the narrow chassis trucks which weren’t many out there .. It’s not an issue with a 6” lift which is sqaut compared to other lifts out there . Obs trucks have a fairly wide stance

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also would i need extended brake lines with 2in coils + 4in spindles?
No ! You can use oem lines . You’ll be unbolting the bracketry in some areas of the upper a- arm and loosening the line from its original placement but Rc gives relocation brackets .
All you need to do for the most is swap the parts ! And follow some other rules of thumb like removing steer stop grind off ((Rivets)) and trim the Lower arm for 15” wheel clearance . It’s all in the RC instructions sheet
Optionally guys run extended hoses which you can if you want .

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Even though its a little more expensive, I think I'm leaning towards the spindles instead of body lift, since I need to replace ball joints anyway and I could do the spindles while I'm in there. Whereas the body lift is a whole other process and I hear its a longer install.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guess my only remaining question is: does anyone have experience working on trucks with body lifts? In terms of engine and trans work, how much more annoying/easier it makes accessing them