Spectra Radiators - Good, Bad, Indifferent??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Three504spd

Reaction score
Opinions on Spectra premium radiators? I need to replace my Blazer radiator and Spectra has the right price and specs, the reviews range heavily from Yay to Nay and a good portion of the Nay's are older. Be nice to get some opinions from real people who may have dealt with their products.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
Disclaimer: My opinion only. I don't have inside info on parts manufacturers anymore.
I haven't had an issue with Spectra parts yet, and I have multiple vehicles with their parts running the streets currently.
I think they're all cheap crap made by people that couldn't care less and they just stamp a different vendor name on the same product. Unless you can find an actual radiator shop that will custom order and assemble the pieces, or buy a fancy four core, go with whatever you feel comfortable paying. They're easy and cheap enough to replace whenever the mood & necessity strikes you.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
I personally buy Delco but I get a smoking deal. I have used several Spectra radiators and heater cores without issue.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive got 4 spectra radiators in use right now with no issue. Just bought one for the '91 also.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Seems all I can find are Spectra. Most recently I dropped one in our '88 454 stickshift GMC. Oil cooler lines didn't line up so I had to undo the retainer bolt on the K-member or wherever that was in order to line things up. Used one of their heater cores in a 1990 F-150 with no issues and one of their radiators is in our 1991 Mark VII with no issues so far.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have a spectra radiator in my 94 350. Works fine, nothing special. Motor tends to run on the cool side until it gets into the mid 90s in the summer, then it's normal. It's about 8-10 years old now and hasn't given me any problems.

Kirth Gersen

Reaction score
In recent years the Spectras have been made in China, not Mexico or North America, and I think the quality has degraded.

Two Spectra model #CU624 (2-deep core, for extra cooling) installed on my 94 5.7L TBI engine, and both started leaking at the drain **** within 6 mos.

I even tried stacking a 2nd flat rubber gasket on the drain plug, still leaked, assume something defective inside the female portion of the valve.

Autozone has very liberal warranty & replacement policies, so after returning the 2nd radiator I'll look for some other brand.

The positive features of the Spectra were:
- oil & trans cooling fittings matched up exactly.
- heavy duty 2-row radiator cools extremely well (standard OEM was 1 row).

Even though cooling system was in pretty good shape, engine temps dropped 10º with the 2-row rad and it never, ever overheats. I dont tow, but no problems on 5-6 mile long, 5-6% grades in 90+ ºF summer heat. (Interstate 5 northbound, the "grapevine" climb, in So Calif)