solid axle swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok.... 1500 frame same :) but we are both correct if you want to get technical
X2 I used a 1500 2WD frame, just the coil buckets were partially removed and my offroad designs brackets bolted right up.

92Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do see one problem with this though. The t case from the 85 will not allow you to run your speedo. You will need a 87-91 or 92 full size blazer or suburban to get the pass side drop t case with electric vss.

I believe the 90-91(full size blazer suburban)241's had the elctronic VSS I think 87-89 still had cable driven.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
Always the best way, as long as you have room.

Make sure you make a build thread! I'd love to do this.

X2 I used a 1500 2WD frame, just the coil buckets were partially removed and my offroad designs brackets bolted right up.

I believe the 90-91(full size blazer suburban)241's had the elctronic VSS I think 87-89 still had cable driven.

I have plenty of room and there will be a build thread as long as I don't spend what money I have before I find a truck and yeah I gotta get a new transfer didn't know I needed the vss

92Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have plenty of room and there will be a build thread as long as I don't spend what money I have before I find a truck and yeah I gotta get a new transfer didn't know I needed the vss

You can make a np205 work as well, ( http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?262-VSS-ing-a-NP205 ). There is some machining required but if you have a 205 lying around it might be worth it. I found it difficult to find my 241 since theres only 2 years they were made with the electonic vss.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather resurrect an ancient thread than start a new one, and I'm too lazy to search very far for info;

My '94 ECLB kissed the median divider and I can't get it into a frame shop. There is, however, a '87 Suburban 1500 4x4 rolling chassis nearby for <$1000.
Will it fit without a lot of fab work?

konajoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd find another GMT400 ECLB frame and build that to swap under the truck. Perfect time to install the Off Road Design straight axle kit.