Solid Axle Conversion Tech

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
The "spring perch" is the flat part that the leaf springs sit on. The perch widths they specify are different bc the widths of each axle is different. No one quote me on this bc idk if it's right but I think the spring pad/perch width of a Dana 44 from a 77-79 ford is 32.5" that means there are 32.5 inches from the center of the left spring perch, to the center of the right. A newer ford axle is something like 36.5" or wider, meaning the perches are farther apart from each other. If you have an axle with really wide spring perches, and you put large wide tires on it, you'll rub the tires on the springs since they're so wide.

Clear as mud? :lol:

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
No.... That measurement is from the center of the spring pad (where the leaf spring sits on the axle) to the center of the spring pad on the other side of the axle. Hold on and I'll see if I can find a pic to explain what I mean..

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
That is a rear Axle, but it shows what I'm talking about. From the center of one, to the center of the other, that's 32.5" (if I remember correctly) on a Dana 44 from a 77-79 ford

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
What do you mean "an axle with two different perch lengths"?? Post a link to the kit you're talking about.

Also I looked and both the high pinion dana 44 and high pinion dana 60 axles from 77-79 fords have a spring pad width of 32.5".

Newer model ford dana 60's have spring pad widths of 36.5" which can lead to tire rubbing.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
I'm looking at the ord kit now. It says 31.5-32" spring pad width. But the Dana axles are actually 32.5". They might be measuring from the insides of the spring perches. But the 77-79 Dana 44 and dana 60 have 32.5" pad width, and so do 73-87 Chevrolet Dana 44 and Dana 60's. That kit would work for any of those axles, but the ford would be better for you so you don't have to do a passenger side transfer case drop, unless you just wanted to.