Solid Axle Conversion Tech

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i was planning on doing a ford axle, i understand the pass drop was curious about the spring perches though thanks for the clarification. im wondering if you can make your own crossover steering system with factory parts off of other trucks.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
It's possible. Crossover steering is simple, but you must do it right. You can get a tube and have it threaded and Put tie rod ends on each end. You'd have to have the Draglink made somewhere, or you might canbuy it by itself. You'd also need a drop pitman arm that will accept a tie rod stud, or it might be possible to put a heim joint on that end to attach to the stock pitman arm (I'm not 100% sure on that one)

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
drag link is like a panhard? i was thinking the tierod bar i make myself, that one would be easy enough. panhard isnt required but would be good extra safety. not sure what you mean with the heim joint though

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
A Draglink is what the steering arm connects to on the axle.

This is a heim joint

You must be registered for see images attach

What I meant was that you might could put a heim joint on the end to the pitman arm and it connect to the stock pitman arm which has a stud in it to bolt to the steering linkage.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
I'm sorry. I was mistaken. By Draglink I meant the piece that connects the steering rod to the axle. This

You must be registered for see images attach

The piece on the bottom to the far left

A Draglink is the actual steering rod or "tie rod bar" as you called it

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
ahhh so the heim joint would act as the step in the drop pitman but in reality it would just relocate how the tierod end is attached. and maybe put lock washers inbetwen to keep the nuts from loosening.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Right..... The heim joint would only be good to keep you from getting a new pitman arm. But as I said, I'm not 100% sure that that is possible, or even safe to do. Someone else might have to answer that one.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
it honeslty doesnt seem safe. how many splines are in a ford pitman arm compared to a chevy one? i mean there has to ba an alternative instead of buying a 400 dollar kit that if a part wears out you have to pay out the but to buy new.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
I'm not sure on the spline count. And there are LOTS of alternatives. I know there are LOTS of people who've made their own crossover steering kit, but I haven't looking into it really good yet. I'll look into it for a little bit and get back to you on it.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
yeah i wish they would post up or something, because i really do not like my ifs maybe its just my truck but i dont like it compared to my friends straight axled truck i just dont see reason in spending 700 bucks for a bracket kit as well as 500 or whatever for crossover steering when i know theres alternative that perform just as well if not better.