Slow/labored crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Over the last few weeks I've been having an issue with my C1500 where it cranks slow for a few seconds before it starts.

I assumed it was the battery as it was hovering around 11.7 volts with the engine off. At this point the battery was about 4 months old so I replaced it with Interstate battery.

Right now the Interstate battery is at 12.2 and the same slow crank is happening. I'm starting to wonder if the starter/solenoid is having an issue turning over the engine and having an effect on the charge of the battery.

Thoughts?

1997 C1500 5.7

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be the starter, could be a bad connection. Check the connections from the starter to the power and ground with a multimeter by checking resistance. Should be next to nothing, like 0.0x-0.1x ohms for each. For the ground just check negative battery terminal to starter housing. Double check the cables anyway, they've been known to have water creep a few inches into the insulation and corrode, should be able to feel it pretty easily by squeezing or flexing the cable.

If that checks out, it's likely the starter, but engine timing or increased friction could cause the issue as well, just not as likely.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd be suspicious of the alternator as well. Easy test, top the battery off with a charger and see if it still cranks slowly.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Could be the starter, could be a bad connection. Check the connections from the starter to the power and ground with a multimeter by checking resistance. Should be next to nothing, like 0.0x-0.1x ohms for each. For the ground just check negative battery terminal to starter housing. Double check the cables anyway, they've been known to have water creep a few inches into the insulation and corrode, should be able to feel it pretty easily by squeezing or flexing the cable.

If that checks out, it's likely the starter, but engine timing or increased friction could cause the issue as well, just not as likely.

I'll have to check on those this weekend. With 400K+ miles, I'm sure the wires have seen better days.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
I'd be suspicious of the alternator as well. Easy test, top the battery off with a charger and see if it still cranks slowly.
I don't think it's the alternator as the battery will stay at 14.7 with the engine running. But I'm going to have to put the battery on the charger when I get home. When I left for work, the battery dropped to 12.02 volts

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll have to check on those this weekend. With 400K+ miles, I'm sure the wires have seen better days.
My starter did the same thing, but I did check the wiring, the battery as you did, and hand cranked the engine as well to ensure it wasn't compression, timing, or friction related. It was the starter even though it "checked out" at the parts store.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
My starter did the same thing, but I did check the wiring, the battery as you did, and hand cranked the engine as well to ensure it wasn't compression, timing, or friction related. It was the starter even though it "checked out" at the parts store.

Sometimes you have to get them to check the starter repeatedly, to get it to "fail". First couple of times the parts store checked the starter on mom's Chrysler, it showed good. I felt like it was going out, and we'd been having some starting issues with it for a couple days. Knew the battery was good as were connections. I told them to hit it a few more times, and it came up bad. FYI:the starter R&R on these make the same job on a 400 easy peasy. So very uninterested in doing this twice.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
My brother suggested testing the relay first, but also he said it could be the plunger in the starter could be worn out and not making contact.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score

I have a strong feeling it's the starter since I have a generic one from a part store with a green logo. I've heard their electric components are ****.