Slow/labored crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Over the last few weeks I've been having an issue with my C1500 where it cranks slow for a few seconds before it starts.

I assumed it was the battery as it was hovering around 11.7 volts with the engine off. At this point the battery was about 4 months old so I replaced it with Interstate battery.

Right now the Interstate battery is at 12.2 and the same slow crank is happening. I'm starting to wonder if the starter/solenoid is having an issue turning over the engine and having an effect on the charge of the battery.

Thoughts?

1997 C1500 5.7
Had a similar situation a while back, thing would crank slow and take 6-7 cranks to start. I never got around to diagnosing the actual issue, but the truck ate a cam sensor and while I was diagnosing that smoked the starter, threw a new starter on, new wires for it, and the cam sensor of course (as well as cap and rotor because I'm already in there right?), now she fires right up like a new rig. Any idea how many miles are on the starter? If its original I'd bet its your problem.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Had a similar situation a while back, thing would crank slow and take 6-7 cranks to start. I never got around to diagnosing the actual issue, but the truck ate a cam sensor and while I was diagnosing that smoked the starter, threw a new starter on, new wires for it, and the cam sensor of course (as well as cap and rotor because I'm already in there right?), now she fires right up like a new rig. Any idea how many miles are on the starter? If its original I'd bet its your problem.
It's not original, I replaced it around 8 years ago. Maybe 100K miles?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doh! I just realized most of you still have side posts and I posted a terminal cleaner for top posts. You probably can't do any better than a straight wire brush for cleaning side posts.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Doh! I just realized most of you still have side posts and I posted a terminal cleaner for top posts. You probably can't do any better than a straight wire brush for cleaning side posts.

If you search eBay or Amazon for "side battery terminal cleaner" you can find a bunch of cheap tools that will do both top and side terminals. Basically a pokey straight wire brush on one side and a cupped wire brush on the other.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
If you search eBay or Amazon for "side battery terminal cleaner" you can find a bunch of cheap tools that will do both top and side terminals. Basically a pokey straight wire brush on one side and a cupped wire brush on the other.
Lisle used to make one, with a plastic handle. Also had a 5/16" hex hole in the handle for the cable bolts. Actually worked great!