Simple rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bloke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exploring my options for an engine now. A 5.3 swap is at least 6k, HT383 is 5400 for engine alone not including labor. Now looking to what rebuilding the 5.7 entails.

Keeping the stock fuel injection (got the upgrade) and getting a better tune. What kind of cam and heads can i slap on this hunk of steel. Not sure of keeping the same type of pistons but whatever i change out has to work with the stock stuff. Dont want to change the pcm and be splicing wires or a marine intake. Simple rebuild limited to my stock stuff. Already got headers, msd ignition, air intake, superchips tune (EFI Live, HPtuner or Bear later) custom exhaust with magnaflow muffler.

Engine has 139k its has to be a rebuild cause there is no way i should just changed cam and heads with that many miles.

I seen so many rebuilds on line but they really do more than what i care to do.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Engine has 139k its has to be a rebuild cause there is no way i should just changed cam and heads with that many miles.

Any particular reason other than the mileage? That's really not that high at all IMO. I'd probably keep the stock Vortec heads in your situation anyway but I wouldn't hesitate to do a cam/spring swap on that engine if it seems healthy otherwise. Is the goal just more power or is there some other reason you think you should rebuild it?

Side note, if your aftermarket intake is anything but a Volant you're probably better off with the factory intake. Open box intakes like the K&N FIPK actually raise your intake air temps pretty significantly.

Another side note, if your truck has a 4L60E and you're trying to make more power I would seriously consider researching and collecting parts for a 4L80E swap.

Sorry I'm no real help with your main question, just throwing stuff out there.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
139k is low mileage for one of these really. I would just stick a mild cam in it, upgrade your exhaust and get a tune, maybe try a Volant intake and /or a Vmaxx spacer,. I guess you could buy a brand new 383 block from GM for $1300 and have it built and keep your vortec heads or depending on how much you want to spend some Etec or Afr heads.
Also I would stick with Delphi/Delco ignition parts, MSD/Accell is China junk now. Ya it might be engineered better but the QA is crap.

Bloke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was hoping someone would throw out some part number for a cam, heads etc. that would not be over top for a what i have already installed on this truck and its just a matter of installing them.

Like i said i already have an air raid intake, MSD 6A, ceramic coated headers, stainless steel exhaust system, performance cats and a magnaflow muffler, superchips tuner (will update to a better one).

I am looking for a cam and head combo that will work with what I have on my truck.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like i said i already have an air raid intake

I know I mentioned this earlier but now that I know which one it is I have to bring it up again. The Airaid is pretty much the worst intake option on the market for these trucks. You give up the low IATs of the sealed factory airbox, but keep all the restrictions from the factory tubing. You'd be better off putting the factory airbox back in or buying a Volant.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also I have no direct experience with them, but the general consensus here seems to be that an ignition box like the MSD 6AL is useless on these trucks unless you have a specific need for them like setting a rev limiter on a carbed engine. If you're using the stock fuel injection system the factory ignition components should be more than adequate. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer on your parts selection, I'm just seeing a trend of unnecessary "upgrades" that aren't helping you any. Same deal with the conversation about heads. You say you want to keep the budget lower, but heads are expensive and the stock Vortec heads flow pretty well as-is.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're keeping the factory intake and fuel system, don't bother with replacing the heads. Have them vatted and magnafluxed because Vortecs love to crack, and often you can't see the cracks without magnafluxing. Want a cheap upgrade on the heads? Use stock LS2/LS6 valvesprings and Comp Cams 787-16 retainers with new, good quality keepers. Put some 1.6:1 rockers on the stock cam and you'll pick up 5-10 hp, or get a slightly hotter cam and go for a retune and more power.

There's nothing wrong with the stock rods and pistons. From what I've read, the powdered metal rods in Vortecs are stronger than the old 'pink' rods. Take the time to balance them - I did on my Suburban's motor, and it really did make it run smoother. There's no need for a high-volume oil pump, it just robs power and the oil system on SBCs is already pretty reliable. Keep the stock windage tray unless you want to install a better aftermarket.

Bloke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya, at a 139k is not too much in mileage. I say rebuild cause i am not sure if throwing in a hotter cam is a good idea with the amount of mileage the engine has. I just equate this trying to boost an engine with 139k but thats just me.

I will talk to my mechanic about a hotter cam that doesnt give me any issues with the pcm but will probably get a better tune. I have an extra pcm with my vehicle vin so i can dyno both setups and see what i get.

All this stuff i have put on this truck was done about 2004. I dont have a speed or rev limiter anymore since i deleted them and got the MSD for that reason.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I dont have a speed or rev limiter anymore since i deleted them and got the MSD for that reason.

The speed governor can be raised in the tune to the point where you'll never hit it, but it's impossible to "delete" the rev limit in a stock black box PCM. The highest you can go is about 6K RPM IIRC. Unless you remove the PCM entirely or swap to a newer one there's no way around that.

Like I said, I don't think that MSD box is doing you any good.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Exploring my options for an engine now. A 5.3 swap is at least 6k, HT383 is 5400 for engine alone not including labor. Now looking to what rebuilding the 5.7 entails.

Keeping the stock fuel injection (got the upgrade) and getting a better tune. What kind of cam and heads can i slap on this hunk of steel. Not sure of keeping the same type of pistons but whatever i change out has to work with the stock stuff. Dont want to change the pcm and be splicing wires or a marine intake. Simple rebuild limited to my stock stuff. Already got headers, msd ignition, air intake, superchips tune (EFI Live, HPtuner or Bear later) custom exhaust with magnaflow muffler.

I was over 200k when I did the marine cam and rockers and over 220k when I put the blower in. I'm now sitting at 276k, you'd be a fool to rebuild the motor just because it has 139k on it.