Side Molding and Trim After Painting or Not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found 'em! Part number 15569460. Discontinued, and like I said earlier, stupid money. But here they are if you want them bad enough. :lol:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233745158992
Thanks but, not for $250!o_O

Looks like they use little nuts that cut into the plastic mounting pegs, similar to the corner lenses. Parts 24/25 on this diagram.

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline....odel=14486&modelYear=1989&ukey_category=19402
Mine are glued (or taped) on and IIRC they're quite a bit smaller, oh well. Thanks again for taking the time to research this for me!:waytogo:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good source for a chrome front bumper with the impact strip, and no license plate holes (not necessary)? I'm putting together a list of what I'll need IF I decide to stay with the trim and molding.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man balances pool cue on forehead for 2 hours, 16 minutes
https://www.interestingnews.club/2021/05/man-balances-pool-cue-on-forehead-for-2.html

That's was a Interesting news
But I want to tell you something important
I am sure you heard about Palestine and isreal ?
You know I did research then I found Israel is a terrorist country
They are killing innocent people in Palestine
We should stand and boycott Israel and those who are supporting Israel

You know I can't hate them just becouse they are Muslim
We should show we have a soft heart and we love humanity
I am sure if you are a not a terrorist or hater
Then you will agree with me

#support Palestine
#boycott Israel

Sent from my TECNO KC2 using Tapatalk
Yeah it has those badges, thanks for that link and the PNs for the emblems. You wouldn't happen to have a link for the "Silverado" emblems that go on the inside of the doors?
I bought those Silverado badges. They look good.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing that too but, it sounds too much like work - I hate sanding, wearing respirators, and I don't know how to paint :Big Laugh:
Rule #1 is always start with a new brush!

Those cab emblems at that price will become collector items, I've had collectors take the stick on emblems off my other cars in walmart parking lots. Just use the cheap ones, they are only plastic anyway. https://www.ebay.com/itm/393256365895

Last edited:

Tomahawk 309

Reaction score
No trim on mine other than the bumper trim. I will probably replace them at some point with smoothies. About 6 months after I got it painted some dude pulled out in front of me and I whacked him good. It messed up the factory bumper and his insurance replaced it with a cheap pos that the chrome is now peeling on. In fact this is the second one that peeled. His insurance replaced the 1st one that peeled within 6 months.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rob7233

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good source for a chrome front bumper with the impact strip, and no license plate holes (not necessary)? I'm putting together a list of what I'll need IF I decide to stay with the trim and molding.

You can try CarParts.com or DiscountBodyparts.com Sorry, I'm posting on the fly and didn't have time to verify for you.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can try CarParts.com or DiscountBodyparts.com
CarParts.com is just about all sold out on front bumpers. On DiscountBodyParts.com I found one with trim strip and lower air deflector for $209.29 (ouch!).:(

On CarParts.com I found a FEY chrome rear bumper for $326.99 (double ouch!):mad:

Any other suggestions, anyone?:help:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score

My '98's been demolded, so when I bought my '97 I wanted to go in the opposite direction.
It came with a front smoothie & a no-trim basic black rear.
So I put the deluxe trim Fr-n-Rr bumpers. Being the cheap-ass that I am, I wasn't about to buy new.
Took a bit as I wanted really clean ones. No dents/scuff/scrapes.
Front one I got for $50.00, but I had to remove it.
...in the guy's driveway.
...on gravel.
...with hand tools. (Good thing I brought the 1/2" drive stuff!)
...by myself. (Seller watched from his deck with a beer in his hand. Wouldn't help, 'cause..."Hey! 50 bucks! Whadya expect?")
Took a while to find a primo rear one. Even then, ouch! $200.00(!) Already removed, though.
Anyways, the point of this babble was, while the bumpers were in good shape, the trim on either wasn't, so I bought the rear step pad & trim from GM. Yea. GM! For cheap! IIRC, the top pad was around $50.00. The small one in the center...$30.00 & the two side impact strip pieces were about $15.00/ea.
The front impact strip came from GM too. $60.00!
Now I hate the fact that we need to run a front plate here. Especially with the factory bracket on these trucks. It's way too bulky looking.
So when I pulled the new front trim outa the box, guess what? No holes for the L/Plate bracket! Yay!
Time to get to some modification of that L/plate bracket!
After some slicing & dicing, I had cut down the bracket & mounted it to the holes originally meant for the lower bolts of the L/plate mount.
That kept that nice new front bumper strip in one piece, looking sm-o-o-o-th!
Now the plate sits low & tighter to the bumper & tucked back under the leading edge. The lower edge of the plate now sits about 3/8" lower than the valance.
So for you, not having deal with a front plate, you wouldn't have to cut that new impact strip for the mount. Keep that new strip all in one perfect unmolested piece.
You could use a bolt with a smooth head, like a carriage bolt, to fill those lower mount holes in the bumper.
I've seen dually trucks not requiring a front plate, where the owner's have used all manner of fancy bolts in those holes, including short little 2" spikes that resemble the ones on their wheels.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: