Should I transfer OEM Trans Pan Magnet to new pan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jsiff

Reaction score
Good-morning,

Discarding my old 4L60E pan, and picked up one from LMC truck that has a drain plug, and the drain plug is magnetic.

Should I transfer my old magnet out of OEM pan, to the new LMC pan, or is the magnetic drain plug enough for the need?

thanks in advance.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a new AC Delco pan on the 700R4 I picked up from LKQ and threw in WCJr. The magnet was just stuck in the old pan. When I pulled the original transmission apart and rebuilt it, I just pulled the magnet out, cleaned it, and reinstalled it.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a time when the magnets were big, "donut-shaped" rings, they'd be located in the pan by a bump in the sheetmetal that fit into the "donut hole".

I think all that's gone now, and the magnets are just rectangular. Epoxy it to an aluminum pan so it doesn't bounce around. If it's a steel pan, put it where it was in the old pan.

Trans drain plugs are over-rated. Drop one of the cooler tubes at the cooler, start the engine, pump most of the fluid out with no additional (potential) leak point in the pan itself.