Should I get an amp for my 6.5s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I currently have Alpine S-type 6.5 components in my doors and a S-type 12" sub and Rockford Fosgate R500x1D amp ready to be installed.

I've found myself contemplating getting a 4 channel amp to power my 6.5s and maybe a set of 4s for the back, since I kind of miss having rear speakers. My 6.5s sound pretty good off the factory deck, but they try to play too-low notes and just end up distorted. The amp I'm looking at (RF R400-4D) comes with HP/LP filters.

My 6.5s are rated for 80w RMS but the factory deck is only putting out around 10-12 IIRC. Maximizing power while getting a bit of crossover action seems better than just a crossover alone, but will it make a noticeable-enough difference to justify spending $170 on an amp plus install bits? Should I just get a $10 pair of "bass blockers" and call it good?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You'll definitely notice a difference in sound quality by giving those speakers more power, especially in the lower frequencies. That said, you're never going to get real deep bass from a 6.5. Crossovers will help you out quite a bit with eliminating distortion, you can just tune those frequencies out. I'd definitely recommend a nice set of 4" components for the rear, I run 6.5s in the front and 4s in the rear and love it. Personally, I'd advise against that amp though. It's from RF's budget line, and it's class D, which historically has never been good for much other than subwoofer setups. I know that the technology has changed over the years so someone may be able to correct me on that. I do think you'd be very happy amping front and rear but as far as if it's worth it, I'd say that's a personal call. It would be to me.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I have the RF R400-4D powering a set of RF components speakers in the front doors. The rear channels on the RF R400-4D are bridged to power a Pioneer 12" sub under the rear seat.
The RF R400-4D was a huge step up from the Sony 4 channel amp I ran before.

I didn't want loud or big bass, I wanted sound quality.
My little system does "quality" pretty well for the price I paid.