Need advice for removing an alarm on my '96 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy 4th, everyone!

In the process of tearing apart the lower dash to install a new ignition switch to hopefully fix my charging system and transmission shifting issues, I decided to remove what appears to be an aftermarket car alarm. It sometimes goes off at the slightest provocation, even with the car unlocked. I don't have a manual for it, and so have no idea how many components are involved or how they're connected to the electrical system. I don't want to create more problems, so would appreciate any guidance from the helpful folks on this forum.

I took pictures of as many of the parts that I could find, in the hopes that someone here will recognize the system and can shed some light on how this thing is connected, particularly to the remote entry system (which was installed as a factory option). For example, is there a main unit or "brain" for this thing? If so, where would it be?

I hadn't noticed this button on the bottom of the dash before a couple of days ago, and have no idea what it's for. I'm assuming it's part of the alarm system. It's spring loaded, and doesn't click.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's the sensor, attached to the lower tubular brace under the dash. I looked up the part number and it appears to be a Ford part #.

Here's the siren. The wires to it broke off when I wiggled them. Probably chewed by rodents.

Here is what I think is a fused power connection to the underhood fuse/relay center. It looks like an add-on, rather than factory original.

There's also a small red light on the lower left side of the dash (not pictured) that blinks slowly and steadily. Sometimes it speeds up, but I'm not sure why.

Thanks!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That button looks like the magic button on my '97 crew cab. Also came with an aftermarket alarm; that button has to be pushed when starting the truck IF the battery has been disconnected. So it may be some type of kill switch.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Good to know. Funny that it took me eight months to notice it!
I found ours after replacing the battery (sunvisors with lighted mirrors, truck is a Silverado, and the mirror covers broke and the lights stayed on and discharged the battery). The truck came with two dead remotes for the alarm and the operator manual for this alarm. That mentioned a kill switch so I went looking for it. But you have to be pushing the button while you crank the truck (turn the key to Start). Otherwise nothing happens! Kind of an awkward position to be in, to do this, so I'm the one who starts it after anyone's been messing with the battery.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I happened to talk with former owner yesterday, and sent him a picture of the button. He doesn’t recall seeing or using it when he owned the Burb. Guess it isn’t mission-critical.

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is a valet button if the alarm fails. You turn the key to the on position without starting the truck, push the button, and it over rides the alarm. Alarms are fairly simple to remove. Find the main control box under the dash and remove the ties or mount so you can see it. The key is to disconnect and reconnect 1 wire at a time. Eventually the box will be disconnected and you have successfully removed the alarm. Clean up all wiring, and zip tie the harnesses securely. Be confident it is not a hard job.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a valet button if the alarm fails. You turn the key to the on position without starting the truck, push the button, and it over rides the alarm. Alarms are fairly simple to remove. Find the main control box under the dash and remove the ties or mount so you can see it. The key is to disconnect and reconnect 1 wire at a time. Eventually the box will be disconnected and you have successfully removed the alarm. Clean up all wiring, and zip tie the harnesses securely. Be confident it is not a hard job.
Thanks for this. I finally found what appears to be the main control box up under the left side off the dash. Oddly enough, it’s a GM part. I say odd, because I thought it was an aftermarket alarm system. Unless that is the control box for the remote keyless entry, a factory option.
I’m wondering how the two systems are connected, since locking the vehicle with the fob results in a chirp from the alarm.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to wrap this thread up by saying thanks to those that responded, and that I decided to leave the alarm in place (after fixing the rat-chewed wires to the siren). What I had thought was the alarm going off randomly actually turned out to be a set of circumstances that I didn’t fully understand. It mainly happened when the negative battery terminal had been disconnected, which was being done all too often over the past couple of months in the process of tracking down a charging system issue. Now I know what to do if I have to disconnect the battery.

I don’t need the alarm while the Burb is at home, but it’s sometimes nice to have when going to more populated places.