Need those door jamb switch/contacts for the rear barn doors on a 1999 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

Anybody have a source for those contacts/switches that go on the door jambs of the rear barn doors? The right side has 4 contacts and the left side has 2. I can get a used one on Ebay, but no guarantee that it's better than mine. Seems the parts have been discontinued. I took mine apart and cleaned all of the inside contacts and tracks, but I don't have working interior lights when I open the barn doors. There are no other switches that I saw. Barn door power locks work and the defroster partially works. Thanks.

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess from what I've been able to gather, you have to get lucky. Parts aren't made anymore for whatever reason, so you kind of have to hope some new old stock pops up on Ebay, or scour ebay or junkyards for used parts and hope you get lucky. Kind of annoying, these were made just a few years ago, notorious for breakage, and still plenty of these trucks running around.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The OE manufacturers are in business to sell cars and trucks. They are required by law, and regulations to offer part support for seven years. A few are items are longer. They will tell you they are not in the long term parts support.
That is the reality we ALL live with. [£¢€^°^€£€¥^] fill in your favorite expletives. Covid made it worse by probably shortening the future supply of parts, start ups fearing too risky.
And that OE part supply mindset is what keeps the Aftermarket manufacturers chugging along. Anybody doing their service can name a bunch.
Another part of the formula is " there a demand for this part ?" Ya gotta sell a lot parts to make back the cost of tooling, manpower, overhead. The government always breathing down your neck, regulations, laws, fees, tax increases.
It's not a direct attack not stab you in back, but death by thousand small cuts slowly chipping away. " what was that?"
" oh nothing don't worry, keep paying your taxes , were here to help " . :3811797817_8d685371

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The OE manufacturers are in business to sell cars and trucks. They are required by law, and regulations to offer part support for seven years. A few are items are longer. They will tell you they are not in the long term parts support.
That is the reality we ALL live with. [£¢€^°^€£€¥^] fill in your favorite expletives. Covid made it worse by probably shortening the future supply of parts, start ups fearing too risky.
And that OE part supply mindset is what keeps the Aftermarket manufacturers chugging along. Anybody doing their service can name a bunch.
Another part of the formula is " there a demand for this part ?" Ya gotta sell a lot parts to make back the cost of tooling, manpower, overhead. The government always breathing down your neck, regulations, laws, fees, tax increases.
It's not a direct attack not stab you in back, but death by thousand small cuts slowly chipping away. " what was that?"
" oh nothing don't worry, keep paying your taxes , were here to help " . :3811797817_8d685371
I agree 100% with what you said.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you, I saw that one. That one is for the barn doors that don't have the defrosters on them. So this is just for the dome lights. Mine has all 5 pistons.
If memory serves right you can install the pistons. Unless you need new ones as well

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If memory serves right you can install the pistons. Unless you need new ones as well
Yea, that's really the problem. I removed each piston and the contacts were very pitted and corroded. I cleaned them up as best as I could, and the important stuff such as the power lock and defroster is working. Just the dome light isn't. But my original ones are pretty shot.