Barn Door Weatherstrip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99tahoemomma

Reaction score
Had wet cargo carpet and found the weatherstrip on the sides of the barn doors was leaking. I ordered new weatherstripping for all the rear: upper strip, opening, and the vertical and corner pieces on the door. After installing all the new pieces, the passenger door wont close all the way at the top. Now its actually leaking worse than before. Anyone have any suggestions where you have ordered the parts and replaced these with no issues? It would be nice to drive in the rain :)

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not a direct answer for you, but there are a lot of posts here about barn door weatherstrip. One is here where there is an embedded video showing how to rejuvenate existing seals. This prompted me to go that route for my crew cab.

And one more where folks discussed barn door weatherstrip issues.

Last edited:

99tahoemomma

Reaction score
Before I replaced everything, it was leaking from the sides near the window defrost sensors. Now it is leaking from the top where the passenger door doesn't completely shut. Used the weatherstrip discussed in the thread above... just ran a piece along the top of the passenger door that seals against the top piece of weatherstrip. Seems to be working so far....

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There was a TSB for a revised weatherstrip which included a backer rod (of sorts) inside certain areas of the strip. Usually, its location is denoted by a paint mark and you’re supposed to line it up at a certain location. That might be something to look into.

I don’t have a better copy of it, but here is that TSB.

You must be registered for see images attach

dimondan

Reaction score
There was a TSB for a revised weatherstrip which included a backer rod (of sorts) inside certain areas of the strip. Usually, its location is denoted by a paint mark and you’re supposed to line it up at a certain location. That might be something to look into.

I don’t have a better copy of it, but here is that TSB.

This shows that I've been installing the molding upside down. The start of the molding should be on the top and not the bottom. Mind Blown! This might fix my leak. LMC Truck sells their trim with a reinforcement in the middle of the weather stripping that goes around the door frames which causes the doors on the top to not seal tightly.