Cargo door weatherstripping issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kran

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my 99 tahoe has been having leaking at the barn/cargo doors where water will leak from the top of the doors and pool down at the bottom inside the vehicle. i bought the full LMC truck kit for around 260 which didnt solve the issue. on the LMC kit, the rubber that runs around the body is much thicker than OEM which is causing the passenger door to not close all the way at the top, whereas it closed flush before.

when i compared mine to another local gmt400 2500 suburban, the burban had a secondary rain channel along the top edge on part 22 in the LMC link below. i dont believe my factory gasket had this either.

for reference, i purchased 22, 23, 24, and 25 on the following LMC link
https://www.lmctruck.com/1992-99-chevy-gmc/exterior-rubber/csd-1992-99-exterior-rubber-components

23 is one rain channel, but 22 is also supposed to have a rain channel along the top edge.

would anybody have any insight on this? this is driving me nuts and im tired of cleaning up water. or if anybody has a spare oem body gasket laying around, i'd be interested in purchasing. i cant find anything on any GM parts site.

Superfly019

Reaction score
Having the exact same issue with my '96 Tahoe leaking from the top of the barn doors. You end up getting this resolved? If so, which part(s) did the trick?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had this problem. I pretty much purchased all new weatherstriping for the rear doors accept for the one that attaches to the left door (center). And she still leaked from the top. I recommend checking your door bushings and replacing them if the door moves. Doesn't help if theres play. As for the fix. I'm planning on switching to lift gate/tailgate. When I do I'll make sure it's not leaking. For now I purchased generic weather stripping from home cheapo. I think its 1inch wide. And pretty much stuck it to the top smooth part on the door. Which believe it or not stop the rain from coming in. I also added the strips to the left and right rear pillars. So when the door closes it pushes against the weather strips. Not the best remedy. But in my case it works, don't necessarily recommend it. But if you expect rain is a good temporary solution

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As for the fix. I'm planning on switching to lift gate/tailgate.

No comment on a tailgate model being synonymous with watertight, lol. I’m sure my neighbors have heard me cussing mine.

GM did have a TSB on “a” water leak in the cargo area, maybe it’ll help.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Awesome thank you. I just want a rear glass and wiper lol. Plus its nice to sit on a tailgate at the park ect vs bumper

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you actually convert a barn door truck to tailgate/liftglass? I thought the rears were completely different between the two.

From what I'm seeing it's the hinges. Barn doors have different rear pillar switches then lift glass and theres a bracket welded next to the taillights on the barn door. That's why you need a magnetic screwdriver for the screw. Vs the tailgate doesn't have it. So the screw I's exposed. Other then maybe a few other things gm has the welding points for the tailgate brackets on the barndoor

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can you actually convert a barn door truck to tailgate/liftglass? I thought the rears were completely different between the two.

From the limited reading I've done on the subject it seems "possible," but you'd basically be welding a different ass end to the truck. More trouble than it's worth IMO.